Hardware Failure & Driver Errors - ATI Radeon 9550?

By sneakazz
Jul 5, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I have read & tried so much stuff on the following issues and now feel I really need some help.

Basically, I keep getting the following errors:
    "Hardware Failure" (mainly)
    "IRQL Not less or equal" (occasionally)
    "Device Driver" or "Video/Graphics"(occasionally)

I started getting these with playing games at first but now seem to get it with simply surfing.

I checked the event logs which only said "SYSTEM ERROR 1003"
    I check my cpu temp which is always around 40c so ok.

After reading about possible causes I decided to check my ram. I used some spare ram from another pc, swapped, paired, unpaired etc but still got the same issues.

I downloaded the latest drivers for my mobo, graphics card, & sound - No Joy

Then I tried to repair windows. When doing this however, I got a BSOD. I couldn't do anything - it would go to the BSOD immeadiatley.

Luckily, I had used that hard drive purely as a boot up drive so was able to instal it a fresh on my slave.

However, I still got the same errors. Next I decided to remove my graphics card & drivers to test with just the on-board graphics card. So updated the drivers.

It seemed to work for about half a day but then started crashing again with the same hardware/driver errors but alot less frequently.

What am I missing? Does the fact that I get a hardware error necessarily mean I have a hardware error or could it be a driver problem? I am pretty sure I have all the latest drivers but it wouldn't suprise me if I was missing something.

Or, is it likely I have a CPU/MOBO/PSU problem?

I know this is long winded but Ive been trying to sort it for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks in advance.

PC Spec:

ASRock K7S41GX
    512mb ddr ram (plus various 256 sticks)
    AMD Athlon XP 2200
    Seagate barracuda hard drive
    NEC dvdr
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.