Hardware Upgrade Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im currently running a Core2Duo 6400 at 2.13ghz, and a EVGA 8800gts I am trying to play gears of war and I get some intense lag issues sometimes. Im wondering what the best way to go would be? I'm thinking of either getting a new processor or another video card and using sli. I cant overclock because I'm not confident enough and I cant get into my BIOS anyways. So if anyone could please lend some sound advice I would be extremely appreciative. I'm also looking to fix a monitor issue. I have problems with games sometimes where lines go through my screen I believe its because the monitor isn't fast enough or w/e. I believe it's called screen tearing I've tried turning VSync on but it is a no go. I know I'm not really a big poster here I'm just more of a reader it's just getting tiring having to dumb down my graphics all the time. Thanks in advance.

C2D 6400 at 2.13ghz, EVGA 8800gts 640mb, G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400, Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6.

Those are my full specs!

Please lend any hand that you can I have tried multiple sites and can't get any answers!

i think your cpu and graphics are fine. it's your RAM that could use a boost. 2 gigabytes is standard now. so you'd probably need closer to 4 to run smoothly.

as for the screen tearing, it might not be the vsync, but the refresh rate. sometimes adjusting it to a proper frequency gets rid of such problems. for instance, in call of duty 2, it was defaulted to 60mhz. and the monitor i usef runs at 75. so i adjusted it and visual quality improved. maybe something to try and look into. the additional RAM might help greatly as well.

a core 2 duo and an 8800gts can't be beat really...there aren't too many processors better than yours other than the q6600 processor or the 8800 ultra 768mb. the specs you have are fantastic enough and don't need to be changed in my opinion. just the RAM needs an upgrade.

and one other thing to check. sometimes graphics problems can be attributed to viruses and other things. mayhaps you should perform a check and make sure your hard drive isn't fragmented, and all that other wonderful stuff. i didn't think they made a difference, but i think otherwise now. maybe you should look into it too.

don't worry about not being a big poster or anything. nobody really cares i guess. we're all friends here so it doesn't matter. i'm 90% sure you'd post more if you had a really close friend that posted on here somewhere.

anyways. take care. i hope i helped :3

Ok thanks, I will defragment and work on my virus and spyware stuff and see what kind of results I get. Do you think ram could be causing such exponential issues?

Getting more ram can't hurt, but I think it is the seconed thing that is mentioned. Programs running in the background, either these programs are helpful or malicious they still require cpu time and ram.

Just a thought, this might sound stupid, but when I first got bf 2, it was super laggy and unresponisive, after trying lots of diffrent things I just unconnected my lan cable (RJ-45) and it worked great ever after!!! So when ever I feel like playing single player I just unconnect the cable and if I feel like playing on lan I just plug it back in, it only happens when I'm playing single player. Just goes to show the smallest unsiginficant detail can throw off systems that are trying to play at the top of their game.

Processes-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back