Has any one else heard of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I resently moved, and was setting up my computers. While pluging in a printer, I couldn't get it working so I plugged in into my computer then into that wall. unknown to me the plug was faulty and there was surge that went through the printer(doing nothing to it) through the cable to the motherboard, blowing a small hole in a chip, melting the little gold wires on the borad to the chip and burning the case. every person I've asked says the've never heard of it and that they want to see the motherboard. One of my friends is a tech-wizard and repairs computers and stuff like that, but he had no clue how I did it. if anyone else has heard of this please tell me I must know if its just me that can distroy computers with out trying.:monkey:

I have spent 15 years in the electronics trade and i have seen that kind of thing plenty of times.
Static electricity is the most common cause of what you described. Most modern components are insulated to withstand 1000 volts, that sounds a lot, but static electricity can be 10,000 volts or more.
What was faulty about the plug, was the ground disconnected?
I have also seen plugs wired incorrectly causing catastrophic damage that renders expensive equipment useless.

I wont mention names, but i used to work for a small company that owned the rights to a till unit. A large, well known company sold them under their name and sent their "engineers" to "fix" them. They don't even seem to understand how to use a screwdriver, they would use a flat blade and a hammer to shear off Phillips head screws to open the units up. They also seemed to have trouble reading labels and doing things like plugging an 8 amp printer into a port that clearly stated 4 amp max above it.

hum; neither box was plugged into a surge protector were they?

if the outlet was poorly grounded OR either power cord was faulty, even that
would not have saved you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back