Has anybody got instructions how to disassemble Dell D620 laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi team,

This is my first post. I discovered Techspot whilst looking for information about how to reset the admin BIOS password on a D620 I have recently bought. This thread is really useful ... [but as I'm new the forum will not let me post the URL] t-40199-p-3.

However, it assumes you know how to disassemble the offending laptop down to the motherboard. Does anybody have any manual, information, *****s guide (preferably with pictures!!) that I could use?

I have seen the PDF that covers the reset process and there is one picture relating to the D610. But it doesn't look anything like my D620!

Thanks in advance.

you can disassemble your 620 a hundred times but that will not change your password situation... the shorting method will not work for latitude x20 and above.
which password do you need to reset? if it is the gray / white screen then your only chance is dell or somebody else who can give/sell you a master password.

the following models can be unlocked by paper clip methode.

Precision
M60

Latitude
XP

Latitude
XPi

Latitude
CP

Latitude
CPi

Latitude
CPiA

Latitude
CPx

Latitude
CPxJ

Latitude
CS

Latitude
CSx

Latitude
c400

Latitude
c500

Latitude
c510

Latitude
c540

Latitude
c600

Latitude
c610

Latitude
c640

Latitude
c800

Latitude
c810

Latitude
c840

Latitude
D400

Latitude
D410

Latitude
D500

Latitude
D505

Latitude
D510

Latitude
D600

Latitude
D610

Latitude
D800

Latitude
D810

Latitude
110L

Latitude
X1

Inspiron

Inspiron
510m

Inspiron
600m

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron
M170

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron

Inspiron
XPS Gen2

Thanks for all the information and the very fast response (on a Sunday as well!). The password I need is the BIOS admin password. After pressing F2 during boot and entering the BIOS setup screen it is showing most of the peripherals as being disabled (wireless card, IR etc.) An admin password has been set and I cannot change the settings.

Looks like I'm stuffed then.

I think you're not.
go to this website:
http://www.download.centre4service.com/software1.html
and download the dst-cd (password = smellyalater)
burn it to a cd and boot your laptop with it. if you cannot boot from cd you can either change the boot order from the one time boot menu (hit f12 during dell post screen) or download the dst-floppy or dst-usb.
once booted the cd/fd/usb change or delete the service tag. this should remove the bios config/admin password as well.
don't forget to set the service tag back to its correct value for warranty reasons.

good luck

help i have dell d620 white screen service code sqwm5b1 can any one help me whis adm. password. please... thanks

Thanks to mscrx and Blind Dragon for the information above.

Unfortunately I am still stuffed as the boot order is one of the BIOS settings that is set and protected. It is set to HDD only :( so no chance of booting using the disk image mentioned above.

This machine looks to me as if it's an ex-corporate set up that has been locked down good and proper. It's also got something called Safeboot installed that requires a log on (which I do have the details for). I reckon I've been done like a kipper!

Since you took it apart you could try removing the CMOS battery on the motherboard, give 15 seconds or so then plug it back in, that should reset the BIOS to default settings

I don't think removing the battery will reset anything on this laptop.
did you try the f12 one time boot menu?

Yep, tried the F12 one time boot menu. Only the HDD option is available. I've not tried removing the battery but the info on the internet all points to that not working either.

Any other ideas, or should I put it back on ebay and sell to some other unsuspecting mug?

ok, you now have three options...

1. sell it
2. buy a password (ebay, certain password sites)
3. install dos to the hdd or any other laptop hdd and put the stuff from the dst cd on it. if you can boot the hdd into dos and manage to start the svctag.exe then you should be able to reset the pw for bios config.

you shoul dgive it a try. all you need is another laptop or adapter for desktop and dos install disks.

Thanks again. I'm going with option 3 as I have very little to lose. It's going to take me a week as I''l be away but I'll post the result here.

Just to make me feel better, are we sure that deleting the service tag via this svctag.exe utility will remove the BIOS Admin password? Has anybody here got it to work on a D620? Positive responses welcomed!

I don't have a d620 here, not sure when I will be back in my office to test it.
but I tested it with c610, c640, c400, d400, d600, d610, m60, d810 and some inspiron models. I also have a d820 in my home office where I can test it.
it is worth a try!

It works! I can confirm that using the service tag reset tool to remove the service tag does unlock the BIOS passwords for a Dell D620. The tool can also be used to reset the service tag. I am one happy bunny. Thanks to all contributors above.

MrStickleback said:
It works! I can confirm that using the service tag reset tool to remove the service tag does unlock the BIOS passwords for a Dell D620. The tool can also be used to reset the service tag. I am one happy bunny. Thanks to all contributors above.

What was the procedure you used? I too have been searching for a solution to unlock a d620, your help would be appreciated.

please read the whole thread and try search function. you will find all information yourself!

mscrx said:
please read the whole thread and try search function. you will find all information yourself!

I have done, I have read most of the d62o threads on the forum, my d620 wont boot from CD and I have also tried putting the service tag software on USB drive, but laptop wont boot from that either.

I really would not be asking if the information needed to unlock the bios password on the d620 was here. ;-)

You have said install dos to the hdd or any other laptop hdd, but how do you actually do that?

ok, did you try hitting f12 during the dell boot post? this would let you access the one time boot menu and possibly any other drive. if that doesnt work you may try it with a dos boot hdd. to do that you need a different laptop or desktop with laptop hdd adapter and install a plain msdos or drdos or whatever dos you find around.
once installed copy all the files from the dst cd on it and put the dos hdd in the dell laptop. boot it into dos and run svctag.exe to edit the service tag.

yep, I've tried hitting F12, F2, F8, esc, and DELETE, no key gets me into the bios.

Right, now where would I get a laptop hdd adapter? (ebay maybe) and where could I download a dos program?

So once I get all the above, I will try this and let you all know the outcome, thanks for your help.

ah wait. you are not able to access the bios from f2? are you sure you are talking about the same password as the other guy? in case you get the gray/white dell screen I am sorry but nothing mentioned in this thread will help you.

I am sorry to say so but I can't help you with that sort of password. you may have a look here and see for the last few post, the one from paragon33. there is no other way than buy some password from the internet or call dell for help to remove the system password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back