Has anyone had experices with mixing and matchign different RAMS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

meNOname

really need some RAM but i want more than 512 mb...and i wanted to just add it with my stock RAM...

has anyone had exeperiences mixing RAM?
does it slow things down?
make things worse? :eek:
or is it just marketing BS?

ive heard all of these

thanks,

For dual chanel you need atleast matching sizes. You system can only work as fast as the worst RAM, and that's if it works at all. Compatibilty is not certain. It is best to get all the same if you can. If you have four slots full stabily can go down, too.

All this depands alot on your systems specs. I have had two matched 512mb, with two match 256mb with the same timings together once in dual chanel on my Asus P5P800. It worked fine at stock speed.

For dual chanell it is a must to have the same memory chips and better same timings, for single chanell it's best to be alike not to have problems.

so how do i tell if i have dual channel, ive got 2 ram slots...dunno if its dual channel..but 2 slots..thats prolly what that means right?

i have a demension 2400...if that helps at all

iove done that and have narrowed it down to the RAM i want
its compatible
maybe ill just slap the new 512 stick in there with the stock 256

whats the worst that can happen??
:)

only one stick in it now..so its not dual channel..
gunna order now
ok thanks for the help everyone

The reason you hear all these things is because all can happen. A few years ago mixing ram brands worked fine a lot more frequently than it does now with all the super high speed stuff.

everypost that comes up helps me
even if its a couple days late
thanks..my stick will be here in a few days...im thinking bout mixing it first to see what happens?

if it explodes i wont be seeing much of techspot for help anymore....:(

i really dont have alot of "high speed" stuff....o well...ill see what happens
feel free to still post your experiences..
thanks

The worst thing that can happen is for the computer not to boot into windows or get a lot of BSOD. By no means you can not be injured by this "experiment". Anyway good luck with your ram.
PS: The last of this kind of try I did with a Via Kt 266a wich is a single chanell chipset and it works ok even today.

i can now reply with my own experience
i got a stick of 512 mb RAM from newegg.com
yeah newegg.com, if ya ever need anything i recommend that
ordered normal shiping and it got here in 2 days... :approve:

back to the subject, no problems yet, comp runs fine, and is quicker and alot better than it was before
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back