Has my CPU downclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi mephisto, it's called intel speed step if not mistaken. It's a technology to change the multiplier and speed of processor in order to save power. In fact in my computer i could set the CPU as i wish and usually by default, cpu is set to be "dynamic switching" or flexible. Wrong configuration on power management will result in locked cpu speed (always at slowest or sometimes always at highest). To know more, use this software HERE. It's very good program as long as you use it properly and do not mess with voltage...:)

hi mephisto,

as nismo mentioned, SpeedStep downclocks the CPU when it's full power is not needed. it will automatically raise the clockspeed when more processing power is needed. it doesn't do any harm, it's simply to save power (for increased battery life)

some motherboards/laptops allow you to disable SpeedStep in the BIOS if you prefer.

cheers :wave:

almost all laptops contain smart chips or mobile versions of CPUs that downclock to burn less power and to reduce heat when the usage rate is not needed. When additional computational power is required, the speed steps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back