Has my graphics card gone bad?

By yeungmars
Aug 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I used to be able to run games just fine, even Black Ops 2, but now I can't even run Assassin's Creed or SWAT 4. Is it like a problem with my graphics card, because I dropped my laptop a couple of times and I heard that you can damage the cards by dropping them. Now whenever I try to run a game the cursor icon shows the loading sign, then it just goes back to normal, but when I look in the processes bit of the task manager, it shows the game using up memory. If it isn't a graphics card problem is there any other possibility? I already tried re installing Windows 7 but the games still don't run. And Google Earth just sort of freezes my whole computer. Is that something to do with the problem?
    I don't know if I'm supposed to put this question in this category, so if I get it wrong can someone please tell me. Thanks

I use the Thinkpad x220i, and my friend uses exactly the same model with the same components and the games run perfectly fine on his machine

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30GHz
    Installed memory (RAM) : 4.00GB (3.89GB usable)
    System type: 64-bit operating system
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_21DA17…
    Display Memory: 1696 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
    Shared Memory: 1632 MB
    Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (50Hz)
    Monitor Name: ThinkPad Display 1366x768
  2. PC nerd

PC nerd TechSpot Booster Posts: 314   +34

Black Ops 2 on integrated graphics? I'm calling bullshit.
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,088   +723

It is a Sandy Bridge chip. The graphics arent that bad, but definitely not gaming quality. He is running at 1366x768, so it will struggle, but it will get him 15-30 fps. BO2 isnt even demanding. It is a DX9 game with a few DX11 features.
  4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,259   +41

Yes you could have damaged your laptop, these things are soldered on the board and if you crack them there's kind of no turning back.
  5. JC713

Yeah, you could have dislodged an important component during the fall. The GPU is part of the CPU though since you have integrated graphics.
  6. yeungmars

yeungmars Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Would replacing the CPU along with the GPU fix it?
  7. PC nerd

PC nerd TechSpot Booster Posts: 314   +34

It's not that simple with laptops.
  8. yeungmars

Oh
    So... no hope?
  9. JC713

If the games worked perfectly before the drop and clean installing Windows didnt help, then I am afraid you are out of luck... if it is infact a CPU or GPU issue. It may be an HDD issue. The games are "loading up" but never show. Can you tell me what you see in device manager under "Display adapters"? If the GPU has disappeared from device manager it means it is not functioning correctly.
  10. yeungmars

I
    I can see the name of the video card under it
  11. JC713

Does it say HD3000?
  12. yeungmars

13. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

So, what's it say then? :\

Also, run chkdsk on your HDD, it might be toast.

14. yeungmars

It just says intel(r) hd graphics
  15. JC713

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.