Has NE1 used or is using any fanless heatsinks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOcRatEs

I've been seeing a variety of these cpu/gpu fanless heatsinks
showing up on the shelves latley.
"Fanless cpu"
I'm not sure what to think about fluid coolers vs. fanless.
Heat is very much a concern and managing it is my goal.
Faneless is intriguing tho, I would think, less power draw on Psu.
Or is this just the latest trendy thingamabob :confused:

fans draw a neglible amount of current, but do add to noise production and increased dust collection rates. i've installed a few fanless gpu/cpu heatsinks and they are invariably heavy, bulky, and a regular pain to install. these were, however, for guys who had a problem with air cooling or wanted thiers "rly quiet". in all cases they were unnessesary. if a zalman 7000/7700 isn't quiet enough for you then don't get a computer, say i. in addition to said drwabacks, they always ran much hotter than conventional (stock) cooling and offered no thermal headroom.

lol, very true. Forget about overclocking on those.

they cost a bomb too, and unless you're in cahoots with the Al-Qaeda, you probably don't own a bomb.

ahh, my old overclocked 486 was uppedfrom 33 to 50 and still ran fine without any cooling device...but those days ended a long time ago. however, powered peltiers (i haven't interacted with one since 1998) allow a fan/heatsink assembly to be located a distance from the cpu, leaving only a copper transfer block over the socket. modern ones usually allow the heatsinks on the dissipating end to be secured in front or behind a standard case fan, thus using an exsisting fan to draw air out of the case and cool the cpu at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back