Has this ever happened to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieChanIsGOD

Ok... this has only happened twice to me, but i was just wondering why it happens...
After i delete a lot of files... about 50... my recycling bin still appears full. Then when i right click to empty it again, it says "Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'?"... then i open the bin and there's nothing in it...
Last time this happened i just restarted the computer and it went away... but i'm downloading a lot of stuff, so i can't right now...
I'm just a little curious...........

Anyone wanna tackle this one?

That is totally strange. Why don't you just bypass the recycle bin and push SHIFT-DELETE and make it permanent to begin with? THis way you will know it is gone and you won't have that extra step in there.

Meh... i like the bin... i've gotten used to it...
And it's good for testing... i sometimes put stuff there to test apps... like a temp folder...
So you've never heard of that eh?

Why not just change the settings of the recycle bin so that it deletes all files at once, apply, then put it back the way it was...

That should (hopefully) clear up any configuration issues...

If that doesn't work, delete all the recycle bins (should be possible to do in windows), and restart... They'll be recreated and should hopefully fix the problem...

I get this problem sometimes.

What I sometimes do then is right click the desktop, new text file, then drag it to the recycle bin and then empty again - i.e. give it a blank file to delete and see if that makes it go away.

Also, does it sort itself if you reboot - if so, then I would not worry too much. If you had a proper corrupted recycle bin then I don't even think you would be able to open it at all.

Using Recycle Bin as a "Temp Folder"...

ooooh...GIGO = garbage in; garbage out. I sure would be careful about using this practice of dumping your files into the recycle bin as a means of testing anything. It could lead to an awful amount of grief when you go to empty the trash. The hand is quicker than the eye and right click: poof! bye bye.
Good practice, and a lot safer, would be to create a TEMP Folder and call it something like MY TEST APPS, or something like that, and place it either on your desktop for quick access, or wherever else you know you can easily find it. But that's just me. :)

Re: Using Recycle Bin as a "Temp Folder"...

Originally posted by Crybabytek
ooooh...GIGO = garbage in; garbage out. I sure would be careful about using this practice of dumping your files into the recycle bin as a means of testing anything. It could lead to an awful amount of grief when you go to empty the trash. The hand is quicker than the eye and right click: poof! bye bye.
Good practice, and a lot safer, would be to create a TEMP Folder and call it something like MY TEST APPS, or something like that, and place it either on your desktop for quick access, or wherever else you know you can easily find it. But that's just me. :)
Think maybe you have slightly misunderstood his point. You put them in the recycle bin, run your program, if no errors occur, then those files may be safe to delete. If you make a TEMP folder then test that way there is 1 unnecessary step if you want to delete them. The Recycle Bin, unless you play around with shift + delete doesn't just empty itself on its own.

Re: Using Recycle Bin as a "Temp Folder"...

Originally posted by Crybabytek

:eek: sorry 'bout that...

SNGX, I have to agree with Crybabytek.

It's easier than you think to go and delete files you don't want deleted...say he comes back later and dumps something into the bin and empties it...OOPS the other files are gone too.

I remember when I was clearing a floppy in DOS and I forgot I was on the C drive. I said Delete *.* and DOS asked "are you sure Y/N?" Of course I'm sure! lost everything on the C drive.

I'm not saying that was my view, I was trying to clear up what I interpreted to be crybabytek's misunderstanding of of JackieChanDude's method of using recycle bin as a temp.

My method, a temp folder on the desktop.

Originally posted by JackieChanIsGOD
Ok... this has only happened twice to me, but i was just wondering why it happens...
After i delete a lot of files... about 50... my recycling bin still appears full. Then when i right click to empty it again, it says "Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'?"... then i open the bin and there's nothing in it...
Last time this happened i just restarted the computer and it went away... but i'm downloading a lot of stuff, so i can't right now...
I'm just a little curious...........

Anyone wanna tackle this one?

Once a glitch, twice a trend? This is the first thing that raised the red flag for me.
The second red flag was "delete WINDOWS"

It's been so long that I have almost forgotten what I said in the first instance. :-[ Besides it would seem that your problem has been solved, Jackie.

I don't always check to see what files are in the recycle bin and I have been known - oops - to empty the recycle bin only to discover that - oops - I also deleted stuff that was part of other stuff and hitting delete on the recycle bin too quickly can lead to some interesting problems.

I was simply suggesting that with 50 +- files, in there that just maybe it would be "safer" to create a new folder and name it whatever you want and put it wherever you want - so that nothing gets accidently deleted cause the proverbial moving fingers write and having writ moves on...poof! gone bye bye. I just said "Temp" as an e.g.

I'm here to learn as much as I am to put my two Cdn. cents in the fray. :) not because I'm an expert.

Sollution

On my machine a reboot did in fact not fix the problem.
I turned out to be a corrupt file in my Recycle Bin.
First you have to make visible all the files in Recycle Bin:

On NTFS disks
cd \RECYCLER
attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D

On FAT32 disks
cd \Recycled
attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D

As soon the corrupted file was visible I got a message from windows:

Found corrupt files in Recycled Bin
please run chkdsk, so I did

chkdsk /F /R /X

I emptied Recycled bin again, and voila empty.

Well done. :)

Its also possible to have a corrupted recycled folder, which you sort by going into the recovery console and deleting it, I believe.

i been having the same problem but i don't know how to do complock step...so please some one help me...i have no idea what to do and my disk space is really low now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back