Haswell Core i3 and Pentium desktop CPUs available for pre-order, shipping next month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

upcoming core pentium haswell cpus intel cpu pentium haswell core i3 pre-order

Processors built on Intel’s fourth generation Haswell microarchitecture were announced at Computex earlier this year. Select Haswell CPUs, mostly high-end quad-core models, went on sale shortly after but those interested in budget Pentium and Core i3 models have had to play the waiting game this summer.

There’s good news on the horizon, however, as lower-end Haswell chips are just around the corner. A full range of Pentium and Core i3 SKUs will begin shipping next month that will replace existing Ivy Bridge models with many of them already up for pre-order through various online retailers in the US.

ShopBLT has the Pentium G3220, G3420 and G3430 CPUs available to pre-order for $70.61, $90.18 and $100.26, respectively. Those prices almost mirror what the retailer is asking for Ivy Bridge-based counterparts.

Elsewhere, the Core i3-4130, i3-4330 and i3-4340 are priced at $136.85, $154.75 and $165.94. Again, pricing is in line with similar Ivy Bridge chips for the most part but it’s worth pointing out that the i3-4340 is clocked 100MHz higher than the fastest Core i3 Ivy Bridge CPU. The new architecture will offer improvements elsewhere, too, such as faster integrated GT2 graphics and a larger L3 cache on the i3-43x0 series chips.

The lower end won’t be alone in seeing new additions as Intel is also releasing a few new Core i5 and i7 components, namely the Core i5-4440 and the Core i7-4771. The i5 part will retail for $197.26 while the beefier i7 will command $333.77 through the same shop.

No word yet on an exact launch date for these new chips outside of the September launch window.

Permalink to story.

I've been doing this close to 20 years now and I gotta say... I never thought I would own a chip for so long and still have it push games so well several years after its release. To this day, my i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz 24/7 still kicks serious @ss. I bet it will even push a pair of 670's well when I decide to get another GPU.
Not trying to pat myself on the shoulder or nothing and I love the new chips (3D transistors rock) but I still have no reason to upgrade after 5 full (no exaggeration) years.

I've just purchased an Ivy Bridge i5 and will be quite happy for the next couple of years. I usually skip a generation or to of cpu's for taking the plunge again.

I've been doing this close to 20 years now and I gotta say... I never though I would own a chip for so long and still have it push games so well several years after its release. To this day, my i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz 24/7 still kicks serious @ss.

I agree! Such a fantastic chip. I had an Intel Core i7 950 @ 4GHz and it served me VERY well in the entire time I had it, and even today it is an amazing chip, showed no sign of aging for games. Only reason I went to Haswell was because I wanted the faster i7 4770K and 16GB RAM to run multiple VM's. Otherwise, the i7 950 would've lasted me till next year quite easily (maybe more!)

Back