Hate old computers

kimbo.ati

I really hate old computers as they are really slow and hard to understand what to plug in where? Who agrees?

Also my friend here thinks he is 95% muscle. I dont think that is possible considering he is on a diet of Sausage Rolls and Coke. Tell me now is he talking **** or what?

puke:

I love old computers. I make a great buck selling them on ebay.

And your friend has only one percentage: 100% full of crap.

i like old computers 2 im using my old one at the minute as my compaqs in the shop getting lots of new stuff put in it.

Argh! Hating old computers compared to newer ones is like hating your mother in favour of your daughter!

Everything comes from somewhere, and even now, looking to the past can be the catalyst for solving a number of the problems of the present, even in the computer world. On the surface, and in some cases fundamentally, modern computers are not much different to older ones - the modern ones are just improved versions of the original concept.

At first I thought I had nothing to add to this thread, but now a circumstance has came up.

My very first PC (I was a Mac guy before) from 1998 eventually left my possession about a year ago to find a new home at my grandparents house (their first PC). It was a Pentium 2 300Mhz.
I found out it died this weekend, and today my mom brought it to my house to 'fix'. As far as I can tell the power supply died, but I haven't had the desire to fully diagnose it yet. (HD doesn't spin up, machine POSTs but the power supply fan also doesn't kick on).
Anyway, I have a Pentium 2 350Mhz machine that I loosly use, it now is the perfect replacement for my grandparents. Its a lot faster (50mhz plus 100mhz fsb as opposed to 66mhz).

So long story short, old computers can still serve a purpose.

btw, grandparents have dialup.

Yeh, Touching story but i solved the broken computer issue in my house (the old amd) by taking to it with a hammer and large boots.

BTW, stole cd drive,hard drive first then smashed the crap through it :p

i like them old machines, because i started out on them as the latest stuff was (at the time) beyond my financial means. as of the fall of 2001, i had a working timeline of computers at least one featuring every intel cpu from the 4004 to the 486dx2 - tandy 1000 included (rare 186). though now i deal with old and oem machines in the same way - with a 2-foot section of steel pipe. after i strip them down for useable/resellable parts of course ;)

I mainly use a 4 year old laptop and a similarly aged desktop, and my second desktop is closer to five. All are Pentium III. Theres a simple reason there - its a better processor than anything two to three years newer than it. Old kit is often a load better than new stuff. I can't find a similar desktop case, let alone assembled desktop machine, to my 1Ghz Siemens PIII - tiny case, uses half-height componenets and all.

"Old" computers that are still fully usable - this laptop will be able to run Windows Vista if I wanted it to, it runs the beta - also have other advantages. Heat and power consumption are two major ones. The Siemens is passively cooled, and even running the monitor through its PSU doesn't put its total consumption up to even half of a modern machine.

In the even older realm, I'm still using a 1997 Macintosh (pre-G3, same product range as the iMac but two generations before and hence beige) for some stuff; and I'm working on restoring a 1993 Silicon Graphics workstation I pretty much learnt how to use UNIX on back in the 1990's. They're both usable working machines

yeah, i miss my PIII. but for macintosh...forget it. there's one way to deal with them as far as i'm concerned - with a heavy steel object (tire-iron, pipe, crowbar). straight out of office space...haha

I like old computers because, as has been stated, there is always a home for them, they are fun to play around with and rebuild, even tho it can take days to find drivers for odd bits and pieces. Once you have them up and running to the absolute best of their ability, then there is a great feeling of accomplishment, too.

Taking a hammer and boots to them seems to be a waste.

You can always use an old pc simply as a media machine. Or, do as SNGX1275 did: find a good home for it with an appreciative user.

Back