Have a look at how Microsoft has integrated Cortana in its Spartan browser

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft officially confirmed Spartan’s existence during a media event near the end of January. Since that time, developers and enthusiasts alike have been clamoring to get their hands on the new browser.

WinBeta was successful in its attempt and has shared a snippet of video that examines how Microsoft has integrated its personal assistant Cortana into the Internet Explorer replacement.

As you can see, the major takeaway here is that Cortana isn’t overly annoying and it doesn’t make any noises. Instead, you’ll see a small animation in the address bar that, when clicked, provides more information about a particular website such as a restaurant’s hours, location and menu.

microsoft windows internet explorer demo browser web browser cortana windows 10 spartan spartan browser

One can also interact with Cortana right in the address bar. Typing in the word “weather” will display the local weather results without having to navigate to a separate website or launching an app.

Another useful feature is the ability to right-click on text that you are unfamiliar with – perhaps a word in an article that you don’t know the definition of or a location that you can’t pinpoint on a map – to get an explanation. This is similar to right-clicking a word or phrase in Chrome and selecting “Search Google for.”

Spartan will be included in the next public preview of Windows 10 expected to go live sometime before the end of March (and possibly later this week, according to some sources).

Permalink to story.

We already have a tight relationship with our computers. We just need to start talking. Right.... :)

Sounds good so far although I'd probably never use it, talking to my computer or to my devices isn't something I'm ever going to be comfortable with. I hope her voice isn't as annoying as that fudge packing presenters was.

Essentially if you have Bing as your default search engine in Chrome, then the only thing really different here is the weather thing at the very end. Its less elegant in Chrome because you get that information in a new tab, but all that highlighting and information stuff can be done by highlighting, right clicking, and selecting 'Search Bing for <whatever you had highlighted>".

Sounds good so far although I'd probably never use it, talking to my computer or to my devices isn't something I'm ever going to be comfortable with. I hope her voice isn't as annoying as that fudge packing presenters was.

Me either. I honestly think it takes more energy to speak commands than just issuing commands with a keyboard and mouse. None the less, it's another bullet Microsoft can list as reasons for upgrading to Windows 9 and they need a lot of bullets right now...oh sorry...I mean Windows 10. :) I think voice as an input method belongs in the same place 'swiping' does...on mobile devices more than any other. How is this going to look(or sound I should say) in a computer room full of 6th graders? Ridiculous of course. But don't let logic get in the way of your quest for a high bullet count Microsoft.

And the quest for replacing the mouse and keyboard continues...tune in next week when Microsoft announces the 'bump'n'grind' input method for people who can't sit down and focus for more than 5 minutes at their computer.

Me either. I honestly think it takes more energy to speak commands than just issuing commands with a keyboard and mouse. None the less, it's another bullet Microsoft can list as reasons for upgrading to Windows 9 and they need a lot of bullets right now...oh sorry...I mean Windows 10. :) I think voice as an input method belongs in the same place 'swiping' does...on mobile devices more than any other.
Win 8 really left a bad taste in your mouth didn't it? Lets face facts buddy, one of these days you're gonna have to retire good ol' Win 7, what are you gonna use if Win 10 doesn't tickle your fancy? Linux?

Win 8 really left a bad taste in your mouth didn't it? Lets face facts buddy, one of these days you're gonna have to retire good ol' Win 7, what are you gonna use if Win 10 doesn't tickle your fancy? Linux?

Wow, Dr.Jekell and Mr. Hyde perhaps? LOL. I guess you can't ever know for sure which side somebody is on.

But since I am fairly used to being insulted I will respond.

Win 8 didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. I never installed it...not even once.

Your right about the day I have to retire Windows 7. I have that day marked on my calendar. It's the day of my funeral and your all invited. :)

No, seriously though. I might check out Windows 10 after it is released...I might like Windows 10...but it doesn't mean I have to like it all. Won't be using voice *unless* it's on a Windows 10 phone, I.e. mobile device, then okay, won't be using chimpanzee swipes *unless* it's on a mobile device. So yeah...we'll see what happens.

My points are still valid.

Wow, Dr.Jekell and Mr. Hyde perhaps? LOL. I guess you can't ever know for sure which side somebody is on.

Win 8 didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. I never installed it...not even once.

Your right about the day I have to retire Windows 7. I have that day marked on my calendar. It's the day of my funeral and your all invited. :)

No, seriously though. I might check out Windows 10 after it is released...I might like Windows 10...but it doesn't mean I have to like it all. Won't be using voice *unless* it's on a Windows 10 phone, I.e. mobile device, then okay, won't be using chimpanzee swipes *unless* it's on a mobile device. So yeah...we'll see what happens.

If you thought I was insulting you then I apologise, it wasn't my intention at all.

If you thought I was insulting you then I apologise, it wasn't my intention at all.

To quote from one of my all-time favorite comedies..."Okee then". :) I'm offering a $100 cash reward for the person who knows the movie but it has to be claimed before I post this message.

Disclaimer: It's a joke. Get over it.

I wouldn't use Windows 8.x without Start8. It gives me all the goodness in Windows 8.x while keeping the Windows 7 Start menu. You may prefer a different Start menu replacement.

Stardock (makers of Start8) have already indicated that they'll have a Start menu replacement for Windows 10 and I'll be among the first customers. A little more fiddling to get rid of Cortana and forced OneDrive integration and I'll be back to enjoying my computer again.

Back