Have I *COMPLETELY* removed mouse accel out of XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidicRage

I have Windows XP Home and Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 with the latest IntelliPoint Drivers. I noticed mouse acceleration in games, so I downloaded mouse_fix.reg, and that seem to remove the acceleration. I also have disabled "enhance pointer precision" in the IntelliPoint program. I wanted to know if I have *COMPLETELY* removed all of the acceleration in WinXP, because for some reason. My mouse still doesn't feel the *EXACT* same as Win98SE, maybe it's just me. I dunno. It's very annoying to have diff sensitivities on the mouse on games. I got use to the sensitivity in Win98SE. XP just feels different. Maybe it could be a new comp/new monitor.

New computer and monitor may make a difference, but XP does handle the mouse a week bit differently than 98.

XP has a higher refresh rate for the mouse, which appears to make it feel a bit slower.. But smoother. You can change this in device manger or the mouse software in your Control Panel usually.

The lower it is, the faster your mouse will move.. But the choppier it will become. The higher the number is, the slower it will move.

If you are using a USB mouse, then none of this should apply.

Also, btw, my mouse is connected to the PS/2 port. My friends say USB is newer, and better. I have some USB 2.0 ports--should I connect it to the USB? You know the IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0, at the end of the cord plug, it's supposed to be used for USB, then they have another converter attached to it for the PS/2. IntelliMouse Explorer users will know what I'm talking about. The PS/2 converter thingy is green. It hooks up on the USB plugger.

I prefer the USB port, because it feels better to me. You'll lose mouse legacy support for DOS and other non-USB supporting enviroments, however.. So don't don't throw away that PS/2 adapter if you switch to USB. :)

There are pros and cons to each however. Supposedly, USB has a higher CPU utilization (Although I think you'd be hard-pressed to notice). Depending on the quality of your USB subsystem drivers, you may experience problems and you may even need those extra USB ports for some other devices.. So who knows who reasons you may have for not using USB.

Eitherway, I say give it a shot and see if you like it. If you don't, you can always switch back.

USB is newer yes. Is it better? Not really. For mice the sample rate is higher than PS/2 by default but USB is also CPU reliant so in games or other CPU intensive applications it tends to get a bit crap responiveness wise.

Does that Intellimouse happen to be optical? If so I'd go with USB, simply because PS/2 doesn't support the full DPI that USB does, simply because USB is slower. In English: using USB w/ an optical mouse is alot smoother ;) But if it's not optical, then just use PS/2 just cuz it's less CPU-reliant ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back