TechSpot

Have managed to cause utter mayhem

By tokyo-joe
Nov 22, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just decided on what seemed like the going advice here that a sygate firewall was a good idea to run with AVG. Anyway after downloading it but before running it, perhaps foolishly, I turned off the Windows firewall and, without disconnecting from the internet, seconds - literally - later my laptop went phut.

I tried to restart but all it says is -

No bootable CD in ATAPI CD-ROM

NTLDR is missing

Press CTRL+ALT+DLT to continue

- but all it does it squeak, show the Packard Bell screen briefly before giving me the same information.

Would greatly appreciate some help here. Have tried F8 thinking I could system restore in safe mode but it didn't seem to come up on the screen - well, something came up but safe mode wasn't one of them!

Your help is, as always, massively appreciated.

Joe
  2. The_Maestro

The_Maestro TS Rookie Posts: 69

What

When you say something came up, what was it that came up?
  3. tokyo-joe

tokyo-joe TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 45

Thanks for replying - when I press F8 there's a small blue screen with:

Boot device

( ) Hard Disk C
    ( ) CD-ROM/DVD
    (.) Floppy Disk Drive
    ( ) LAN Boot

- which I can scroll up and down and press return but it doesn't do anything.

Then, bottom left there is:

(enter) Execute item
    ( up / down arrows) select item
    (space) Toggle item

THe last ones I don't appear to be able to get at with no cursor.

Does this make any sense??

Ta very much

Joe
  4. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 700

Move it up to HDD with the + key and then press F10 ...this saves the info and re-starts the machine.

patio. :cool:
  5. tokyo-joe

Sorry, that doesn't work. The + doesn't move - only the cursor. When I put it to Hard Disk C the F10 button doesn't respond. Am I doing it wrong?
  6. The_Maestro

was your drive in NTFS or Fat32? What operating system did you have on your PC before it died?
  7. tokyo-joe

NTFS and FAT32 I'm afraid are only vague terms for me - but it was a bog standard Packard Bell laptop with Windows XP SP2 + not had many problems with it. It did slow down and crash recently but I thought I'd solved all that by uninstalling System Mechanic's Pro 6 behemoth which caused all those probs. Having done that it was working perfectly well with AVG. Before crashing obviously.
  8. The_Maestro

have you tried booting off the windows xp disk and running a repair installation. When you run through the all the checks you get to a screen where you have the option to press "r" to repair windows. That will delete most system files and re-install them.
  9. tokyo-joe

Hey Maestro,

Nope I haven't but just checking what I've got I have works suite 2002, something called windows magic install, and the back up master CDs. From what i can gather they should only be used as a last resort as I think they'll take me back to year zero and wipe out tonnes of stuff, a small part of which wasn't saved...

Would Microsoft allow me to download a repair CD i wonder...?
  10. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

You could borrow anybody's XP CD and burn a copy for yourself. Make sure it has SP2 slipstreamed into it (and it is the same XP-version you have now (Home or Pro)).
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
    You'll still need your own CD-key though.

Then follow the Read: How to repair... in the Windows forum.
    If you do it correctly, you won't lose any data.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.