Have network access but loosing Internet connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've been having problems maintaining Internet connectivity on my two home computers. After several hours of being on the network I will loose my internet connection. Whenever this happens I'm still on the network and can access a website by using the sites IP address instead of internet address. The only way that I can re-establish a “normal” Internet connection is by restarting which ever computer has lost internet access.

My main CPU is wired to the router and my 2nd CPU is using a wireless connection, Verizon FIOS – Actiontec modem/router.

So far I’ve had Verizon verify that my Internet connection is working properly and updated all software/drivers on both computers. I also checked that the network card (or any other device) wasn't set to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

What else can I do?

Thank you for your help!

Jess

JessyPR said:
After several hours of being on the network I will loose my internet connection.

Sounds as though your system is getting clogged up
You may need to run CCleaner to clean up all temp files.

If you still experience issues (after cleaning both computers)
You will need to reply back with all specs on your network including:
Router Make
O.S.
Computer specs
Connections H/W
Adsl ? Cable ?

Because you can use IP addresses instead of URLs, this says you have connectivity to the ISP Gateway (which is a prerequisite to getting anywhere else).

next time it occurs, on the failing system, get a CMD prompt
1) ipconfig /all
2) ping the DNS address
3) then nslookup www.google.com

if (2) fails (ie times out or not reachable) then the DNS address has changed

if (3) fails (it should return the IP address of Google), then regardless of (2)
your DNS is wrong.

Kimsland,

I've cleaned both computers many times. I followed the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions posted by Julio over in security and the web. That's actually where I originally started asking for help with my internet problems.

Main CPU:

Dell Dimension 3000
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Network adapter: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection – Packet Scheduler Miniport
Modem: Intel 537EP V9x DF PCI
Router: Wired connection to Actiontec router, model# M1424WR. My provider is Verizon Fios (fiber).

2nd CPU:

HP Pavilion
Network: 802.11g wireless cardbus/PCI adaptor
Router: Wireless connection to Actiontec router, model# M1424WR. My provider is Verizon Fios (fiber).

Jobeard,

I will follow your intructions the next time I loose Internet connectivity on either system and let you know the results. Thanks!

Jess

Jobeard,

I followed your instructions on both computers. I can sucessfully ping the DNS address (no packets lost) and can get google's IP address with nslookup.

Jess

then your TCP (ie network) settings are FINE!

the problem is in the applications using the network, like IE has been hijacked :)

I think I recall that you ran ipconfig /flushdns if not, do so

Also you can un-install MS Internet Explorer 7 in Add Remove/Programs
You can Un-Install IE6 in Add/Remove Programs, then Add/Remove Windows components

Then Re-Install Internet Explorer 7

Jobeard - I ran Ipconfig /flushdns on both systems.

Kimsland - I removed IE from both systems and re-installed them.

I will keep both computers on tonight and let you know what happens tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Jess

Good.

Just for support sake, can you please tell us what version of Internet Explorer you installed - I am thinking Internet Explorer 7

Kimsland,

I installed IE version 7 on both systems. But that didn't seem to solve the problem. I'm still loosing internet connectivity on both of them.

Jess

JessyPR said:
After several hours of being on the network I will loose my internet connection

Hi Jess,
No we haven't given up !

You Can still ping when your Internet Explorer stops (tested by you)
Are both computers having the same issue ?
If yes, then I wonder if it's one computer pulling down the other, say network fault

Therefore, the next test, can you plug only One computer into the Internet (Router) and disconnect the other. Then run for the day.
Please try this the other way around too. Next computer online, other computer out.

This test may take you a day or 2, so just reply back when complete, with the results.

Thank-you, hear from you soon I hope.

Kimsland,

Yes, both computers are having the same issue. I tried taking one computer off the network and I still lost internet connectivity. I did this with both computers.

This has been an ongoing problem with my main computer. It was also happening with my previous provider (cable internet, different router). My
2nd computer never had any problems until I brought it home (it used to be at a friends house, on his network, with no problems).

AlbertLionheart,

I removed all add-ons. No improvements on eitehr system.

Thanks!

Jess

We need to check your system logs in Control Pamel > Admin Tools > Event Viwer.
At the time of going offline, is there any error.

Kimsland,

I'll leave the computers on tonite and will let you know if there were any errors tomorrow. Thank you for all your help!!!

Try this:

If you are using IE 7 then go to Internet Explorer without Add-Ons. This is done in two different ways . If you are using "Classic" windows look you go to "Start" - > "Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools" and click on "Internet Explorer (No-Add-ons). If you are not using "Classic" windows look then you go to "Start" - > "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools" and click on "Internet Explorer (No-Add-ons). By loading IE without Ad-ons this will run IE the way IE came from Microsoft; no third-party tools or spyware running.

Try going to the internet this way. If it works then their is ether a bad plug-in; active X, malware or something else that was loaded on top of IE.

Kimsland,

No errrors on either computer. I did notice that once I loose internet connectivity I can still access my home page (on both computers). Doesn't matter what I have my home page set up to. I can still reach it by either typing the URL or using the home page button "shortcut". This only works for an hour or so. After I can't connect to any URL.

Wildman6801,

I will leave IE without add-ons running for a while. I'll let you no if I loose internet connectivity or not.

Thanks!!!

Jess

The fact that you have a home page is only because the system keeps a copy of it in the cache and it is not an indication that you have a connection to your ISP.

Okay; then it is either with Internet Explorer in general that is causing the problem; a firewall that is blocking internet traffic; a trojen horse or other maliciious program; or another software issue. I remember that you said earlier that you can ping an ip address like google.com. It worked so the operating system is not having a problem getting to the internet. Have you checked your firewall; try disabling it. If it still persists then it is not a firewall issue. After this doesn't work then try checking for spyware, malware or trojen horses. If non are on the system then try to remove IE 7 and reinstall IE 7. I don't think you can do this with the ADD/Remove program. I have been looking at finding another way to clean IE 7 off of your system and then install a new copy of it. If I can't try using Firefox or Opera and see if the problem persists with another browser. If it does then I don't know where to go from here. I will have to think it over.

I found out how to uninstall IE 7 and restore it back to IE 6. This is the link to the official Microsoft Support Knowledge Base Article for a step by step. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177 I would recommend to use IE 6 and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't then installing IE 7 again will not fix the problem. If you reinstall IE 7 make sure to re-download from Microsoft you should be able to do this inside of IE 7 or IE 6. That way you know you are not getting corrupt file(s) if you reinstall it from the same files that you downloaded in the past.

I think this problem is with the router - back on my favourite subject of MTUs perhaps. If you can get into the router settings, change to MTUs down by 25 and see if there is an improvement.
I have also seen this where there is more than 1 firewall running. Try taking them all off for a short while to see if it cures the problem.

wildman6801,

I turned off ZoneAlarm for 24 hours on both systems and never lost internet connectivity during that time. As far as I can tell this is the only firewall that I'm running. Windows firewall is disabled on both computers. I'm trying to figure out if the router has a separate firewall. I'll let you know what if it does or not.

Anyways, I've had this connectivity problem w/ firefox & netscape. I'll see how the computers are working this evening and remove / reinstall IE if necessary. Thanks for all the help!

Jess

Update,

Started loosing connectivity again once I turned ZoneAlarm on. I removed & reinstalled ZoneAlarm, removed IE 7 and restored it to IE 6 on my main computer. I did the same on my 2nd computer 2 days ago.

I haven't lost internet connectivity on either computer since. They're both running ZoneAlarm, IE 6 and Mozilla (just in case). So far so good.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Jess

Sometimes a Firewall becomes too strict and disables everything by default.

The effect of this is that DNS and DHCP requests also get rejected and connections get lost.

add these two rules to the TOP of your rule stack and you will always be able
to conect to the router and the DNS.
allow tcp/udp in/out dest port=53,67,68​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back