Have to buy XP again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofy Newfie

I am in the process of building a new system, keeping hard drives and peripherals, but replacing mobo, processor, pwr. supply, memory, etc.... . A friend told me that with the new hardware config, I would have to purchase a new copy of XP Home, as the one I bought previously would not be possible to activate on the new configuration. Is this the case? Is there a way around this?

You will not have to buy XP again. You will need reactivate it over the phone.

Tell the Microsoft representive you upgraded your system and they will issue you a new, geniune activation key.

That's correct - I just did the same thing about 8 months ago - and it went relatively well, which I did not expect (dealing with MS is rather painful sometimes.)

Yes it is, but for some reason they actually help you quickly when it comes to problems like getting a new activation code.

Hello,

I had a sort of same problem, I my hard disk gave S.M.A.R.T.-errors, saying: "back-up and replace drive". So I bought a new harddisk, put the old one on slave and the new one as master in my system. I installed XP on the new harddisk but when I run: "oobe/msoobe /a" I get a message that my windows/system is already activated.

And when I use windows-update I get the message that my OS isn't correctly activated (or something like that).

Now I have a new key received, but how can I reactivate my XP, considering that "oobe/msoobe /a" doesn't give me any option of activating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back