Haven't posted in a while... programming

agi_shi

Portalized Portals! =D

Check my new post for "correct" visuals of portals using Ogre and my engine, The v01dEngine!
============================================================================

PICTURE HEAVY UPDATE : CHECK PAGE 2
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Heya guys, how's it going? I haven't posted for quite a while here... Missed lots of threads and news and stuff... Oh well.

Reason is, I was busy with school and programming...

Just wanted to show you some stuff my team and I (1 coder + myself and 2 modelers) did, and wanted to see what people think...

Check out a video of the killer physics that the game will have...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8515932538129850213&q=portalized&hl=en
Make sure you watch half-way through to the end - it gets interesting there =).

Screeny of portals:
portaliq7.png

If you didn't guess it already, this will be a mess-with-your-mind style game. Different gravity for every object, portals, and what not. Prey and Portal were the inspirational titles =).

It's all C++... 2 coders (me and one more guy) and 2 modelers. I did the starting "base" of the engine (complete scratch for the game engine). Obviously no where near done, but it's what's going to eventually expand into our game engine. To speed things up we're using Irrlicht and Newton...

Comments?

So you are writing a game engine and you're only 13 (or so I read on another thread)?!? God, and I thought I was advanced for my age.

I like the alternating gravity effects... but all those boxes started to get annoying :dead:

Looks like it could be very good. I have purchased many a game that were worse than that. I'd rather play with that demo of the game engine than I would play certain games.

Well, 13.5... Yeah, I started programming since 11 and it's pretty fun. Using C++, industry standard.

What happened is that I wrote a "base" for the engine (basic classes and functions) while my other coder got everything set-up properly on side. By then I already wrote the whole gravity demo. After that we both started working on the portals, and we still are. Eventually all of this will become our game engine.

But - we are using pre-existing rendering and physics engines. It would suck if we had to write them by hand, especially when they are "out there" already... More specifically, Irrlicht for graphics and Newton for physics. This really makes it easier because all we have to work on is the game stuff, not how to get stuff on the screen or compute complicated physical formulas that I do not understand =/.

Hehe... Wait, you can try out the physics demo... Download here...

Just unzip it and run DiffGrav.exe. It'll take your desktop res. and run at that (people have reported dual-screen support, which is awesome...)

Use 1/2/3/4/5/6 to change gravity to +x/-x/+y/-y/+z/-z. Use 7 to randomize all cube's gravity. Use space to through, and WASD to move around.

That's the earliest demo. No portals or anything in it yet =).

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case, you would only quote that section. ;)

im only 14, yet im fluent in HTML (not saying much) currently learning java, and css... and i build and sell all sorts of systems... i do it just because its fun, is c++ hard? ive never really looked at it...

wow that's great 13.5???? those physics are pretty awesome, hope to see a full game soon definately will play!

I just posted this in my Clan (and TimeParadox's ;) ) to show it off. I posted the short portal demo I saw that you made. Good Luck :D !

Dang thats kewl. But why actually program it when you can just make it with FPS Creator.

fpscreator.com

I'll be turning 15 on the 21st.

But why actually program it when you can just make it with FPS Creator.

The reason people dont just use pre-made engines ( most of the time ) is because they want to freeform their own game 100% :D

Also this is pretty good Agi-shi, very nice Physics engine and the graphics arnt half bad either :)

If I knew what program you guys were using ( for 3d models / textures ) I'd help you out :)

Haha...

Let's see... first, don't show the short portal video to anyone :eek: ! I upped it to show my other programmer what was done :knock: ... That's the first, ugliest implementation of the actual portal physics :unch: .... Haha.

Second - no way are we going to use FPS Creator. We can do anything WE want to if we code it ourselves. Besides, it'd be a lot faster and more optimized than in FPS Creator. Not even sure of FPS Creator's abilities either, so that, too. We were actually thinking of modding F.E.A.R./HL2, but decided to go all out and do our own game for the fun and experience of it.

Third - yes, the physics are nice =). Thanks to Newton Game Dynamics... A full-blown real-time physics engine for rigid bodies. Now you're thinking, "wow, well that makes it a piece of cake"... No, not really =). Still gotta actually feed the whole library what it wants, the way it wants it, and then we gotta integrate whatever it spits out with the graphics and game logic...

Forth - haha, did someone mention it looks "good"? We're not using half the goodness of Irrlicht... All we're doing is loading a Quake III bsp to test our stuff on. Later we'll add custom maps, bump mapping as well as parallax mapping... Here's parallax mapping from one of the Irrlicht demos (in case you didn't know what it meant):
parallaxmapping.jpg

... shadows, real-time lighting, portal "effects", etc. etc. etc... =)

@ TimeParadoX - no specific program. Use whatever you wish. We programmers can currently import practically any format... Look at the bottom of this page for a list. If you wanna help out contact me at nullsquared (remove this) 4+ g00g13's m4!1 (figure it out). Trying to not get spam bots onto me.

Fifth - many people say C++ is NOT for beginners... Since it was the industry standard that's what I started with, I'd recommend it if you're up to the task.

@ Tedster: The point of the game will be... to get to the end of the level =). Using portals, gravity flipping, etc. etc. to solve complex and annoying puzzles/etc.

I'm amazed Agishi....what engine are you using for the game itself (I'm a noob at game design :unch:)? You should make a guide on the basics of game design......I want my own game *crawls in fetile position* :)haha:)!

Game engine? We're making it from scratch... =)

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

cfitzarl said:
I just posted this in my Clan (and TimeParadox's ;) ) to show it off. I posted the short portal demo I saw that you made. Good Luck :D !
What clan are you in and for what games?

Ahh, the question is what clan am I admin to (;))....Luks...currently going through a forum change (soon anyway)...stupid host is starting to place adverts in the forums. I've signed up for some free server space, and am going to set up a forum there (either phpbb, SMF, or VB).

Hmm... I haven't heard from my other coder in a while, lol. Oh well, it's fun working on it alone...

I actually started the engine from scratch. A lot of stuff was hard coded and I reinvented the wheel a few times... plus it looked super-ugly and had little flexibility. Now that I'm rewriting it, a lot of cool stuff will be possible...

For example, there are physics scene nodes now, not just "objects". So you can have graphics nodes as "children" of the physics... which also means that you can attach portals to a physics node (since they are nodes now as well), and get flying portals... Hmm... shooting portals to teleport stuff? Or portals falling like pieces of paper...

Sounds cool, haha. I'm working on parallax mapping as well, and once I get everything together (still rewriting some things), I'll show a screeny of some nice per-pixel lighting and bump/parallax mapping.

The portals are giving me a headache, haha. They just don't want to work as scene nodes, and I can't figure out why... well, I did, the rendering is simply not done on them. The problem is, I can't figure out why the scene manager isn't telling them to render... :hotbounce :knock:

Might as well work on the physics node to rest my brain, haha... Haha, I noticed I said haha 4, no FIVE times =).

One more thing - if any of you know how to use SVN and wanna take a look at the source, you can anonymously check out with SVN at http://OpenSVN.csie.org/Portalized. You can also simply click on the link to view it as a standard html page if you wanna just take a peek at what the source looks like. It's all C++, and uses Newton and Irrlicht. If you wanna go as far as compiling it, you'll need the mentioned libs as well as a data folder which you can get *from me* :knock:. (email)

EDIT:
Oh, and while I'm posting, I might as well say that I down clocked everything. I'm not much of a gamer now and lower temps are better. CPU got to 19C once and gfx card to 27C... What a toasty card!

Wow... That game is actually already kinda addicting :)

I like messing with the physics engine, you can just hold down the space bar and shoot out hundreds of blocks.

I'm going to email this to my programmer friend. He thought he was all special because he wrote a racing game in Direct X at 13 :D
agi_shi said:
CPU got to 19C once and gfx card to 27C... What a toasty card!
Wait, *goes and checks temps* my sucky 7600GT is at 59C at a stock speeds (idle) :( I need a better case [/random]

EDIT: BTW, do you create all the textures yourselves?

Boogityboo04 said:
Wow... That game is actually already kinda addicting :)

I like messing with the physics engine, you can just hold down the space bar and shoot out hundreds of blocks.
Haha! Wow, I don't really find that way too interesting, but if you do, that's great! :knock:
I'm going to email this to my programmer friend. He thought he was all special because he wrote a racing game in Direct X at 13 :D
That's pretty good. We're using Irrlicht for graphics which means we'll be able to use DX8, DX9, two software renderers (speed/quality) and GL. So it'll run any any available platform.
Wait, *goes and checks temps* my sucky 7600GT is at 59C at a stock speeds (idle) :( I need a better case [/random]
Wow... Bad fan, haha =).
EDIT: BTW, do you create all the textures yourselves?
Not the world that the demo is in. That's a QuakeIII map that we used for testing purposes. The cube is from Portal, but my modelers did it from scratch (no ripping or anything). Now we're creating all of our worlds by ourselves, so no more QuakeIII =). It was just easy to test stuff in there.

Ogre!

Kk, I've made the switch to Ogre...

Same level, running under Ogre, with a customized emissive/parallax/specular/diffuse shader:

screenshot1vp0.png

screenshot1dk4.png

screenshot2hc3.png

screenshot3sr3.png

screenshot4lf3.png

screenshot1rc4.png

w00t... (remind you of a certain game ... ? =) )

Boooya!

More clear parallax mapping and specular-ness:
screenshot1kt4.png

What happens is that the (...did you guess it?...) F.E.A.R. textures don't have height in the normal maps... which sort of throws off my parallax shader.

cfitzarl said:
That looks amazing :eek: !
Thanks ;) Now imagine it with portals... :)

If the F.E.A.R. textures got mapped to the map right (which they didn't, because all I did was change the filename), I don't think it would've been "too" easy to distinguish v01dEngine from F.E.A.R.'s engine (screenshot-wise)... Well, you know, without the HUD and a bunch of fancy shadows (which I WILL add, just not right now...) and flames and electricity and guns and medkits and all the other stuff ;).

But... yeah, definitely looks a lot better than that first screeny in the thread.

Back