Having an error " Another program is currently using this file" while opening DOS Files

Hi,

I am using Windows Service Pack 3 and everything was working fine, but today when I opened a DOS file second time, I got an error " Another program is currently using this file". And it continues for every DOS file. Even I tried to open them in command prompt, but even there I am getting the same error.

Can you please help me for this as I have to use DOS files many times a day.

Thanking you.

I downloaded the HJT Software and run a scan, so I got a log file which is attached herewith.
Hope anyone will guide me further.

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 12
Sorry, your post is not clear. When you say 'opened a Dos file' what do you mean? Do you mean 'RUN a Dos PROGRAM'? And why do you say 'second time' ?

Check your processes to make sure the same program is not looping. You don't want to have several sessions of the same file open. What are you doing in DOS windows? Most rum UNIX. Reboot the system and run the one dos session. Check your task manager for processes and see what happens when you run more than one app to access the same files. Windows XP SP3 introduced some changes that weren't in the private SP1/SP2.

Hi,

Thanx for reply to both of you.

GBhall - Yes, It means " Run a DOS Program", and when I searched more about that on this site, I got a thread saying to use HJT software, so I used it and log file of that one is attached herewith.

Tipstir - I can't make sure what is happening in processes, and the problem is not of running more than DOS Program at the same time, the problem is if I run a DOS program for the first time, it works fine. But if I close it and again try to run any DOS program, it gives me error.

Hope to have some solution ahead. Thanking you.

Microsoft has a free TechNet program called Process Explorer. If you run it then go to Find Handle or DLL-> programfile.ext then you can see what has a handle on the file.

Your log file not attached. This site has some restrictions for your first few posts.

Never seen a symptom like that. Suggests to me that when you think you have 'closed' the Dos program, you actually have not. So the question is.....does this happen to every Dos program? How long has this been happening? Did it ever work on your current setup? Have you moved from OS win98 or Win95 to WinXP to cause this to happen ? Name one or more of the Dos programs. How exactly do you start and end this/these Dos programs ?

For this case, try OpenedFilesView. It presents you with an alphabetical list of files and what processes has the file open. (Note some internal Windows processes aren't included but doesn't sound like that should apply to your case)

openedfilesview.gif

Back