Having Problems Burning DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an external dvd burner that is giving me lots of problems when I'm trying to burn dvds. It is plugged into its own outlet so it is recieving adequate power, it's plugged into the main usb port, and it is set up correctly (as far as I know). It's a 16x burn but it wont ever burn a perfect dvd at speeds any faster than 1x when it decides that it wants to. I've wasted 2/3 of the blank dvds that I've bought so ANY suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

I searched and couldn't find any updates for anything, but I also ran the nero cd-dvd speed tool and found that it ran along a normal path but it had large spikes in it about every 1/10 of the cycle. I'm not sure what I can do to correct that, if anything.

The problem is most likely in the burner software, but most optical drives are astonishingly fragile, and fail easily.
Also front USB ports are usually a lot slower than those in the back of the computer... And the obvious question: Are you using a USB 2.0 cable, or an older 1.1 USB?
External USB drives are almost always slower than internal drives anyway, but still, they should preform as promised.
Be sure to check the website of the external drive manufacturer to assure that there is not a firmware update you can download... Downloading and installing is easy.
You might also want to check the drivers list for your computer or motherboard to see if there have been updates of drivers for optical drives BIOS, or chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back