Having problems getting my A7N8X on board sound to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameAddict

This is my shot in the dark that someone may know a solution to my problem. I recently upgraded my system and wanted to try the onboard sound on my mobo. I have the A7N8X deluxe motherboard. The guy that built it said it worked with his analog speakers. I can't get it to work with analog headphones or my dolby digital speakers.

I have boston accustics with surround sound and subwoofer. They all plug into the subwoofer and then have one central plug that normally plugs into the digital plug on my old sound blaster audigy.

I tried EVERY HOLE (light blue, lime, pink and there was 2 others close to a SPDIF plugin) the plug would fit into for both my speakers and head phones. I Went in the nForce Control panel and turned on and off analog and digital speakers. I have turned on and off Dolby Encoding and Dolby surround.

Anyone got any ideas?

Line out connector should be the green one, I think. Sure you have correct settings selected in BIOS too? Which operating system are you using?

Windows XP
I made sure the onboard sound was enabled in BIOS.
Guy that put the computer together for me said he changed nothing since he tried the speakers. Only thing he did was took the CD ROM out then forgot I wasn't using my old CD ROM so he had to put the same one back in. And the audio plug is plugged into the CD ROM to the mobo. I think I checked everything.

BTW there was a green plug, he told me that was the one he used the analog speakers for. I did try that but would that also be the one I would use my digital speakers for?

I'm sure I tried every setting possible in nForce Control panel to get these things to work.

On a side note, you shouldn't need the audio cable with WinXP or Win2k. Go into device manager, select your CD/DVD device and under properties for it enable digital audio for this device. It will sound much better using the digital over the analog sound cable. You may also want to check the drivers and properties of your sound device while you're in there.

Hope you get it working!

If these are your speakers...

"...That's where the Boston Acoustics BA7500 comes into the picture. Featuring four SST (Slimline Speaker Technology) satellites that resemble (but are not) flat panel speakers, front and rear analog inputs, a COAX SPDIF input, a subwoofer.."

you need to use the cables with mini headphone plugs on both ends. I'd assume the MB only has an optical SPDIF output so you'll have trouble with the DD connection as the speakers use a coaxial SPDIF with a phono type plug.

Not seeing either the MB or your speakers it's all just guesswork on my part

Unplug your audio cable to your CD player. That should solve your problems. The sound is transferred through the EIDE cable. The audio cable is there for backwards compatability for old computers and CD-ROM devices that cannot transfer the sound through the EIDE interface. If removing the cable doesn't work then you've got a problem.

I'd assume the MB only has an optical SPDIF output so you'll have trouble with the DD connection as the speakers use a coaxial SPDIF with a phono type plug.

Actually its an "RCA" connector for the S/PDIF(I have this same motherboard). RCA is the same as coaxial right? So you should plug the speakers into that I would think. I just checked and an RCA cable does fit into a 1/8" jack or whatever you call those regular connections, the "light blue, lime, pink and there was 2 others close to a SPDIF plugin" that you spoke of GameAddict.

So did you try the S/PDIF connection? Isn't that where it should go?

Meanwhile I can't get my front panel audio working because it screws with my regular audio.:mad:

Hmm, if you can afford the best AMD motherboard out, surely you can afford a $50 sound card, which would be much better than the inbuilt one. ;)
Sorry, I don't know why it won't work. :p

For anyone who has had a problem with the Asus A7N8X (non deluxe) on board sound (noise coming over the system whenever a movie or audio file played).

The problem is with the Nvidea supplied drivers and the "all in one" setup sound drivers on the CD provided with the motherboard.

The way I solved the problem was by going to the Realtek web site and downloading their version of the ALC 650 audio codec, since they are the developers any way. There is a link to the codec on thier front page.

It installed with no difficulty and the problem is now solved.

Originally posted by Inimbrium
Hmm, if you can afford the best AMD motherboard out, surely you can afford a $50 sound card, which would be much better than the inbuilt one. ;)
Sorry, I don't know why it won't work. :p

The Nvidia soundstorm onboard sound is between Audigy and Audigy2 in sound quality, this would be why he is using it...

And the front panel sound connection disables the rear. Thats the way it works unfortunately :(

Thanks for the help NetTech, I hope that fixes some others problems.

Be sure to check out this thread and introduce yourself to everyone.

:wave: :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave: :wave:

yo GameAddict please help

I'm having the exact same problem you are having with the asus a7n8x deluxe onboard sound. Everything is working, everything except for sound that is. windows claims its playing, the line claims that output is there....but no sound. the speakers plug (via rca) into the computer next to me and wala, sound....but non on the asus board. 1/2 the reason i got this board was because the esteemed reputation of this board, how come so far nothing has worked?....

did you figure out the solution?...please email me
Dinkster9@juno.com

Im only signed up for this site becuase I saw your problem with the sound on the a7n8x deluxe mobo. The yellow sound output is the digital one and is a different size then the rest. You need a coaxial digital cord to connect to it. Thats it and then just enable it in the nforce control panel.

Im only signed up for this site becuase I saw your problem with the sound on the a7n8x deluxe mobo. The yellow sound output is the digital one and is a different size then the rest. You need a coaxial digital cord to connect to it. Thats it and then just enable it in the nforce control panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back