Having Problems Sleeping ?

Is this a joke thread or is someone having problems sleeping? If so I'll get back with a very good way to get to sleep. The only problem is it takes a while to get into the method to where it works.

Lastnight, like many nights before, I did not go to bed until 11am. I usually go to bed around 6am-8am.

I don't view it as a problem. I can go to bed when I please, but I find night is prime time for my creativity and abilities.

Originally posted by Bill The Cat
Is this a joke thread or is someone having problems sleeping? If so I'll get back with a very good way to get to sleep. The only problem is it takes a while to get into the method to where it works.
Its not espically a joke thread, but I wouldn't take it as a serious one at this point. But if you wanted to post a serious method I'm sure someone could benefit from it. I know on the old threads a member did post about having trouble getting to sleep (Ai Hate?) and there were several decent suggestions.
My sleeping situation is similar to Rick's although not quite that extreme, I usually go to bed/fall asleep somewhere between 4 and 6am. I think my problem lies in that I wake up then @9am then find myself in need of a nap after class. Then that nap gets drug out for about 5 hours, then I'm not tired until 4-6am again, endless cycle.

My part-time job ended about a month ago - it was 9am to 3pm. Usually, I went to sleep at about 11pm and woke up at 8am. Now, being unemployed again, I go to sleep at about 3-4am and wake up at 1-2pm.
Such is life..

Well I guess I'll post this little trick I found about sleeping. I had a pretty hard time sleeping after getting into a fight with a car and my motorcycle in which I lost and it left me in quite a lot of pain that just won't go away so sleeping was a hard thing to do. I found when I close my eye's I can still see a little light. It's like looking at a bright light and when you shut your eye's you can still see the after image. I found that by concentrating on this pretty soon I didn't notice the pain and fell asleep and the more I did it the easire it gets. It may be like a form of meditiation but it works. After a while I can now focus the image to quite a clarity and it gets pretty interesting. It could even be like counting sheep, just changing the thoughts away from things that bother you and finding something rigid to focus on helps a lot.
At first it's not that easy but it does get easire with time. Hope this helps anyone....

i've noticed that i can't go to sleep if i'm thinking/concentrating on sth. or even if there's sth on my mind. i need a really blank brain to fall asleep.
sometimes, even playing some soft music kept me awake all night cause i keep singing along to the song. :p
it's still very strange how reading the physics text book could put me to sleep in an instant though...

Originally posted by Ai Hate
it's still very strange how reading the physics text book could put me to sleep in an instant though...
I'm not a big fan of the physics class I'm taking now (electricity & magnetism).
But I can fall asleep to almost any music that doesn't have words if it has words I find myself interested in whats being said. That makes it really hard to sleep with talk radio (which others might find uninteresting) but I always seem "trapped" by what they are saying and usually form a strong opinion on it :).

Originally posted by Ai Hate
i've noticed that i can't go to sleep if i'm thinking/concentrating on sth. or even if there's sth on my mind. i need a really blank brain to fall asleep.
sometimes, even playing some soft music kept me awake all night cause i keep singing along to the song. :p

Hehe know the feeling!

But the go2sleep did have quite an effect on me...
Too bad the screensaver didn't work on my machine, and I spent an hour trying to get it to work....

Bill> I know that one, but I have to apply some pressure on my eyes for it to work... Then I'll get many nice shapes of light... But it's two problems with it for me...
1. I can't keep on applying the pressure, and when the shapes are gone, I wake up..
2. I find the shapes quite interesting, and lie there thinking about what causes them to appear...

One trick which might work is part of a meditation/concentration practice... (It's kinda like counting sheep, but...)
Start counting down from 100 to 0. But visualize each number (only one at a time) and keep it there until there is "nothing left" in your mind...
Note: Do not be frustrated if can't remember which number comes next, as it is only ment to blank out your mind!

.02$

Yeah, the color's are quite a sight, but like I said it's not easy to start with but gets easier with time. After a while you can even control what you see and make a game out of it. Sounds kind of wild but at least for me it works. In part breathing is also a required part, slow regular breathing along with the other part works. The breathing can control the effect or rate of change of the images. Mostly though it's just a way to relax and remove worries and distractions that are the cause of what is keeping you awake. This is the best way I can put it as I never had any training in this but did read about it in a meditation book a long time ago.

Love the screen saver, but I don't sleep with my computer. At least not every night. Have to please the wife and sleep with her too. But I have fallen asleep sitting behind the screen with mouse in hand.

And another thing, I am getting quite addicted to these forums. There are many great topics and discussions going on. Yeah I am having trouble going to sleep. And I really should be in bed NOW. Work in the am. Oh well, Ill have to come back tomorrow and pick up posting where I left off.

Good night all

I found the best way to sleep is to exercise, I was a bit of an insomniac until a couple of months ago - up 'till the early hours every night - my gfriend was not too pleased. So now I try to do some form of exercise every day whether its some weights, rock climbing, biking, anything really - and now I sleep like a baby, every night without interruption for 7-9 hours.....

Just don't exercise immediately before you go to bed, it's difficult to sleep when your heart is beating 120 times a minute....

Back