Having problems with my PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheryllt

About 4 months ago I noticed my computer's case was being electrified, I also noticed that it doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes it takes hours before the it does it.

In the last 4 months I havent turned it on but I did take out the PSU and plug it in to see if it was shorting out and leaking electricity, but that hasnt been the case. The PSU seems to work fine, but it adds a whole new problem.

I dont know what else it could been, I dont think its my Mother Board becasue if it was shorting my computer wouldnt work right? Also I was wondering if there is any easy way to find out what is causing the problem.

Thanks

Ive thought about that but thats a pretty risk thing to do, because I run the risk of frying my Motherboard every time I turn it on.

I cant turn my PSU on independantly, it has no switch. So it has to be pluged in to the Mobo for me to switch it on.

It would be the most simple way but I dont know if the short is hitting my motherboard. I think I may use the most precautous way, by replacing the PSU and see if it fixes it. If not then I may use insolators on the Mobo to see if it solves the problem.

It may still be an issue with either the MB traces on the back touching something or that a wire somewhere is pinched enough to cut through the insulation and electrify the case.

The other thing to think about is if the case gets electrified, that means it was not grounded and that your PS case aslo not grounded.

Check all your cables and power connectors for things like pinched wires, bare wire sections, power connector pins standing out past the connector.

You can test your psu independently of your psu by shorting the green wire to any of the blacks!!!

I don't however think that the psu is the root of the problem!!!! I have repaired many many psu's and a vast majority will either short circuit protect ( shut off) or simply blow!!!!

Follow Thrudds advice and check everything before you even think of fitting a new psu!!!!

Ok so the PSu may not be the problem, that leaves me with the Motherboard shorting like Thrudd said or one of the components is shorting.

Im almost certian its not a wire because I checked every cord for any signs of stripping and there was none.

Right now im going to insulate the back of the MB and see if that solves the peoblem, if not ill have to check each component individually for the short.

Ok at the moment I have my PSU out and jumpered, I also conected both of my ROM drives. Im going to test them with a Voltmeter about every half hour for a couple hours, if they dont show any signs of problems im going to switch to the HDD and the floppy.

Im hoping ill get to the root of the problem this way, if none of the components show any sign of problems then my only option left is the Mobo right?

What I mean is my Graphics card cant be the one doing it right? Its not the kind of graphics that requires it own power so I dont think it could be the one doing it. Also same goes for my modem right.

After that theres nothing left, so it has to be one of them.

Thoroughly check all the wiring to the front panel including power and reset switches and all led's, and check for any damaged usb or firewire ports!!!!

I took the front panel off (what a pain) and checked the power switch, the leds and all 6 of the usb ports. Everything seems to be intact.

Its good to be thorough so that you can keep narrowing down the possibilities!!!!

Just had another thought, make sure the mounting screws arent too long on your hard drive, floppy drive, and rom drives as they can sometimes touch internal components!!!!

I have to say that this makes a refreshing change, most people with pc problems want us to tell them how to fix it without them doing any work!!!!

You on the other hand, are happy to "get your hands dirty", good on you!!!! :)

Thank you, I ussually ask for an assisting hand on things im not an expert on. Its good to get as many suggestions as you can and narrow it from there.

Also the mounting screws arnt too long, if anthing there too short.

Im now going to switch the ROM drives with the HDD and the Floppy, ill keep you posted.

I have my HDD out and pluged in but my floppy is being a pain and doesnt want to come out. So until I can get it out im testing the HDD.

Also I left the HDD screwed into its brackets and just took the whole thing out, so if it is the screws ill find out soon.

Ok ive tested all the components and there all operational. So all I did was use small rubber rings under the Mobo in each screw.

As of right now I am not having any problems with electricity. I think insulating the mobo solved the issue, and I didnt spend a dime.

Thank You to all the people who helped me out. Expecially rik (without your advice I would have bought a new psu for nothing)

Ill probably have a problem in the future so until then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back