Having problems with my radeon 9550

By kisserprostyler
Nov 15, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't know whats wrong with my graphics card,(ati radeon 9550 256 mb agp 2x/4x/8x) :rolleyes: everytime i run a 3d application it runs good and smooth for a while but after 3 or 4 for minutes of it ,my monitor turns off by itself or lines appear all over my screen.
    I turned off all open GL and Direct 3d options and ran my games with the lowest display settings but i'm still getting that everytime i run a 3-D application.I tried the latest drivers from ATI , some other moded drivers ,and know i have omega drivers but nothing seems to change.
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

Have you tested to see if this is an overheating problem? Try running with your case open and a house fan blowing on your parts to see if this stops the problem.

Another guess is that your power supply isn't handling the needs of your card. Can you give us the specs of your system? Including motherboard, ram, CPU, and power supply?
  3. kisserprostyler

kisserprostyler Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 28

I tried running it with my case open and a fan but nothing seemed to change.
    My system specs:

Motherboard: Acorp 4pm800mnl
    Memory :256 mb ddr
    CPU:pentium 4 2.00 Ghz
    Power supply:400 w atx ​
  4. DonNagual

Couple more questions:

1. Is the fan on your video card spinning?
    2. What brand is your PSU?
    3. Have you updated your motherboard chipset drivers and bios?
  5. kisserprostyler

kisserprostyler Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 28

yes , the fan on my video card is spinning, my power supply came with the case, the guy from the store told me that that it was the one i needed and it doesnt have a brand it just says: "switching power supply", I dont wanna mess up updating the bios cause I' ve never done it before.
  6. DonNagual

Well, I guess that is understandable on the bios update. Go with your gut feeling I suppose. I would hate to recommend something to you and have you mess things up.

But I do recommend updating at least your chipset drivers, as that may fix you up.

Anyways, can you tell us what your system bios version is so we can see exactly how old it is? If it is TOO old, it may be worth taking it in to a pro and having the bios flashed.

No name PSUs in general are a nightmare, and this too COULD be your problem, but they are very hard to diagnose. If it were me, I'd do all the updates, and if that doesn't fix you up, consider a new PSU.
  7. Dezachu

Dezachu Newcomer, in training

I know this post may be a year late, but its better for the future.

I found removing the graphics card and placing it somewhere cool for the night made it run 3d apps. all through the next day.

My specs look exactly the same as what kisserprostyler's are, except im not 100% sure on the power or motherboard.

What i suggested ^ worked for me. I can finally use any program i want

But then you get the small problem of the 3d apps running slow with maybe jumpy frames, this happened on War Rock for me.

Just thought it might help :p

And to answer what you said about updating drivers, there are no new drivers, maybe its just the Radeon 9550 is rubbish
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.