TechSpot

Having trouble getting into FDISK in XP Home

By samphire
Apr 4, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perhaps I have made the wrong start-up disk? I have made an MS-DOS Start up Disk - but when I'm in DOS as type in FDISK, I get an bad command message.

Any ideas?

(I'm trying to format and partion a seconday HDD).

Many thanks.
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Any special reason why you can't use the management's console's disk management snap in to partition and format the disk? Right click my computer and select manage. There is a disk management tab. You can do all of this with a graphical interface whilst the OS is running..
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

How did you create the DOS startup disk?
    You have to manually copy all the utilities to the floppy.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

FDISK is old news. Start/Control panel/Adminstrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Manager should do it.

FDISK will probalby not properly handle NTFS formatted volumes. FDISK is for DOS and DOS only handles FAT file systems.
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

FDISK has nothing to do with formatting volumes, the only limitation is that it supports only DOS partitioning scheme (so you won't be able to install Solaris on your machine, no dynamic disks either).

But of course the XP GUI thingy ar any other partition manager is much better.
  6. samphire

samphire TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for all that!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.