Having trouble getting past the Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, first things first. I'm new to posting on the forums but I've been here consistently reading trouble shooting posts here and there.

Here's my story. I'm currently building a new beastly gaming machine for myself. I would like to give my current computer to my sister but I keep getting initial Bios issues. Everytime I try to reboot it takes at least 20 mins worth of shut downs in order to get past Bios. I occasionally get a CMOS checksum error but most of the time after detecting the memory frequency, the whole thing just locks up. Another common screen that I keep getting is a bunch of scrambled letters, numbers and playing card symbols. It's extremely annoying and scary because of the fact if I try to restart or my computer locks up, I run the risk of not being able to get back into windows. I don't get any IDE errors so I'll assume all my devices are plugged in properly.

I read that Checksum errors can be solved by replacing the mobo battery, if so which battery does my mobo use or are each and every single mobo different? This is the only solution I came across. I have yet to update my BIOS.

If you have any other suggestions, please post. Im up for trying anything but if all else fails I see myself buying another mobo just to replace this one, which is going to cost me more cash than I want to spend. Thanks in advance for reading this post and taking the time to post.

EDIT: Oh and heres my soon to be comp once my midterm is over this week and I'm free to pick up the parts.

I'm doing all the shopping from www.memoryexpress.com, a local OEM dealer that has fantastic prices. Since I'm from Canada, I can't shop from NewEgg.com :(

Processor: Intel Duo 2 E6600 2.4GHz

Vid Card: eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 680MB (hopefully down the road I can SLI these two badboys. Picking up GTS because I don't see the worth in GTX for 200 dollars more)

Motherboard: Asus P5n32-SLI Deluxe with Dual DDR2

Memory: OCZ 2GB PC2 DDR2 Gold Gamer

HD: Seagate 300GB Barracuda 7200 16MB buffer

Case: Antec Performance Tx1050b SOHO with a 500watt supply included

DVD/CD rom: LG super Multi DVD 16x16x10

Feel free to critique and add your 2cents, I welcome all different points of views.

The Corrupted Video Sounds Like A Bad Video Card Or Agp Slot. But Most Modern Motherboards Use The Same Type Of Battery. You Can Get It At Any Store. Just Take The Old Battery To Match The Number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back