TechSpot

Having trouble installing Thunderbird on Ubuntu.

By Envergure
Nov 23, 2007
  1. I downloaded Thunderbird and I can't figure out how to install it. There isn't an installer - in fact, there don't seem to be any executables in the package at all.

The file I got is called "thunderbird-2.0.0.9.tar.gz". If this is the wrong file, tell me. I'll feel stupid, but that's better than having no email :D.

Needless to say, I'm pretty new to Linux. I've been using Ubuntu 7.10 for about three and a half hours now.

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

That is a compressed file sort of like a zip file. You'll have to use a utility to uncompress it to get to the files inside. I don't have direct experience with this type of file but there are free utility programs you can use.

3. Envergure

Envergure TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 154

I know how to unpack the files, I just don't know what to do with them.

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

It would be much easier to go in the Synaptic package manager application, do a search for Thunderbird & let it download/install by itself (it'll just ask for a password before it starts downloading).

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Indeed. You should always use your OSs native package management features instead of generic tarballs, sources or installers.

6. Envergure

Envergure TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 154

Oh, that's handy. Thanks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.