Having trouble setting up a second HDD

By AudioVayne
May 10, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OS: Xubuntu 9.04

HDD1 WD20Gig - system
    HDD2 Seagate20Gig - ext3 filesystem

The Gparted partition tool sees both drives (how I formatted the Seagate) but I just don't know how to setup to use the thing! (Like a windows layout how you can casually go into the drive to store / use files).

Any advice guys?
  2. Marty9231

Marty9231 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 197

Hi,

Have you assigned the 1st (system) hdd to be a Master-drive, and the second to be cable-select or slave?

If you haven't, take a look at this picture:

[​IMG]
    Click to Maximize

On top of the drive is a sticker, like the one on the picture, and on the sticker is explained how to insert the 2-pin block to assign a drive to be a Master, slave or cable-select drive.

Make sure the drive with your OS installed on it is assigned Master, and the second drive is assigned either slave or cable-select.

Try that
  3. AudioVayne

AudioVayne Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 142

Yup, they were set correctly...Xubuntu's Gparted could read and format the drive, I just couldn't manage to add it as a storage drive (Example 'Drive D' in windows)
  4. Marty9231

Marty9231 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 197

Ok, well, I don't know anything about Xubuntu or Gparted. But in windows, you can add drives (partition them) with the windows installation disc. I always do that.
  5. AudioVayne

AudioVayne Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 142

Yeah in Windows I just use the 'Disk Management' feature...Here's hoping Debian will do it...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.