Having trouble with new build, can't proceed to boot

By Deadbolt22
Jan 29, 2008
  1. Hello, I am having a very confusing problem.

I just finished putting together a gaming rig, now for the confusing part: I can't get a PS2 or USB keyboard to work on the post screen to enter the bios most of the time. I have gotten the PS2 keyboard to work a few times from restarting the system a multitude of times, I have been able to alter the bios these few times but it will not work after I have saved and exited the bios.

Twice I have gotten past this problem, but the system would not boot, it would just restart automaticly and throw me back to post with a non-working keyboard.

My question I guess, is there anything I can do to make the PS2 or USB keyboard work consistantly in post/bios?

I'll list my specs now:
    XFX nForce 680i LT SLI mobo
    Intel E6660 Quad core cpu
    OCZGX 850 wat PSU
    2x evga nVidia 8600 GT 256mb DDR3 PCI-E cards in SLI
    Corsair 2gb DDR2 Twin2X matched XMS2 ram

I have made sure everything is connected properly and that the mobo is not grounded on the case(properly fit with spacers/risers) and have tested all parts, everything seems to be in working order besides the keyboard not working 90% of the time in post.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Can you try another PS/2 keyboard to rule out that as the problem? If a second PS/2 keyboard behaves the same way, it would seem the fault lies with the motherboard, specifically PS/2 circuit.
  3. Deadbolt22

Deadbolt22 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have tried 5 different PS2 keyboards, I'm fairly sure it's not the mobo either.

I've found that if I leave the computer off for 30mins + when I boot it up the post completes and I can use the keyboard to enter the bios and such. I know its not overheating, temp stays at about 23c and everything is nice and cold. Can't for the life of me figure out why leaving it off for a set time would allow me access after post.

I was trying to fix the problem before I tried to reinstall the OS, as I don't really want to wait 30+ mins to use the computer every time I turn it off and on heh, but I think I'll just attempt to anyway.

Here is how far my post screen gets before stopping unless I power off the computer for the 30+ mins:

(6A61IR03) Release Number 721N1P05
    NVIDIA BIOS Version: 2.053.91
    Main Proccessor: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU 2.40Ghz(266x9.0)
    Memory Testing: 2096128k OK
    CPU Brand Name Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz
    C1E BIos Supported
    EM64T CPU
  4. abtotti10

abtotti10 TS Rookie

I am having almost the exact same problem. Both my keyboard and mouse are USB, and I tried to use a PS/2 keyboard (2 different), with and without a USB and PS/2 mouse. I haven't made it to the BIOS screen even once. MB reads 52, Virtual Memory Test, but the remedies are in BIOS, which I cannot access, obviously. Funny thing is that the keyboard and mouse are both illuminated, so I know something is happening between the MB and the two devices. It seems as though the screen is frozen. Furthermore, I cannot just press the power button to turn it off. Occasionally the MB will read 4E, which I assume means that it hasn't made it to 52 yet, and I can power off without cutting the power. In this case, "C1E..." is not displayed, as it hasn't even counted the memory yet.

Q6600 Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.4 GHz 775
    4 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
    EVGA nVidia 680i SLI (122-CK-NF68-T1)
    EVGA 8800GTX nVidia etc.

The only thing I can think of is that there is some sort of compatibility issue between the video card and the rest, but I don't think there is an issue. 8800GTX can function with DDR2, not just DDR3...???...???

If you have any luck figuring out the problem, let me know.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.