HD Audio problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannimaten

Hi everyone.

Just got my new computer, and with it I bought the ASUS Maximus II Formula motherboard, wich includes the SupremeFX X-FI soundcard.

When i try to install the sound driver, an error tells me that i do not have a HD Audio Bus driver. I tried to install the Microsoft UAA Driver for the bus, but it doesnt work?

Does anyone have the same problem? Help please.

This is after i installed SP3 for XP.

I would first reinstall the latest chipset drivers then
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

I would first reinstall the latest chipset drivers then
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Nothing appear in Problem Devices..

How do i uninstall the chipset drivers if necessary?

You need not try uninstall the chipset drivers. Rather, just download the latest chipset drivers from ASUS and then run the install file. It will do the rest.

Don't know about your specific case but I've seen some systems that have more then one UAA bus drivers where
> one uses the standard MS UAA bus driver and
> Other uses a vendor specific bus driver

I also noticed ASUS has scattered some additional "Sound Blaster X-Fi Utility" downloads under both the Utility and Other category on their site. You might want to look through them, select the latest versions and downloading them as well

If problem persists, carefully look through Device Manager especially under System Devices, Sound devices and if "Other" devices exist ("other" means Windows can't identify what the device is). Look for any error icons (usually yellow). How many and what type of device errors are you seeing (if any?)

You need not try uninstall the chipset drivers. Rather, just download the latest chipset drivers from ASUS and then run the install file. It will do the rest.

Don't know about your specific case but I've seen some systems that have more then one UAA bus drivers where
> one uses the standard MS UAA bus driver and
> Other uses a vendor specific bus driver

I also noticed ASUS has scattered some additional "Sound Blaster X-Fi Utility" downloads under both the Utility and Other category on their site. You might want to look through them, select the latest versions and downloading them as well

If problem persists, carefully look through Device Manager especially under System Devices, Sound devices and if "Other" devices exist ("other" means Windows can't identify what the device is). Look for any error icons (usually yellow). How many and what type of device errors are you seeing (if any?)

ok, i will try that. In System Device, it doesnt seem that i'm missing anything. I have no yellow exclamation signs or anything.

But under sound devices i cant see my "SupremeFX X-FI" soundcard, just some sound codecs etc.

Other than that, after some reading it seems to some sort of problem with SP3, but i dont now if that's my problem..

But under sound devices i cant see my "SupremeFX X-FI" soundcard, just some sound codecs etc.
Now that's very odd.
> If the sound card hardware is detected, the hardware should appear somewhere in device manager
> Note the actual device name you see in Device Manager comes from the device driver
> So, if Windows can't find a driver for the hardware it detects or finds the wrong driver for the hardware, you would see it with a yellow icon OR it may appears as "Other" or Unknown under a different category

But if you don't see anything unusual, i'd also look at your BIOS settings. Check anything related to sound and make sure the card is enabled in BIOS (not being enabled/set in BIOS can prevent the hardware from being detected)

But if you don't see anything unusual, i'd also look at your BIOS settings. Check anything related to sound and make sure the card is enabled in BIOS (not being enabled/set in BIOS can prevent the hardware from being detected)

Indeed it is..

I have no undetected, or yellow signs in system devices. My BIOS are set to HD audio in the bios as it should be. I've read something about it should be a problem with the SP3, but the fixes i can find wont work..

this is really starting to get on my nerve..

It'll take a bit of time but i can look further at how we might better diagnose this it but, since you say you just bought it?, can you get ASUS phone support for this issue? Or possibly even an exchange as it might turn out the sound card is just not working (i.e. being detected) at all?

I forgot to ask but i'm assuming you see the MS UAA bus driver in your System Devices? In Dev Mgr click View>Devices By Connection.
Then expand (categories named similar to) ACPI Multiprocessor -> Microsoft ACPI Compliant-> PCI Bus

Now look for UAA Bus Driver for HD. Find it? Expand it. What's under it? As i would expect your sound card to be directly under it.

Here's an example from my computer. You'll see UAA Bus Driver with my sound card expanded below it.
msuaa.png

I'm glad you ask, because i dont see the MS UAA driver in my system devices, even though i did install it (KB888111). SP3 was installed before i tried to install the soundcard driver.

By the way, this is a brand new computer, i got like 2 days ago.

Here's some pictures (sorry for the language, its danish).
ex1z.jpg

ex2.jpg

The Intel chipset includes a High Def Audio chip on the PCI bus. The chip hardware should be detected by Windows Plug and Play. See [post=755153]Plug and Play Overview: How Windows Finds Drivers for USB Devices[/post]. The process is similar for PCI\ based devices like the Hi Def chip.

But there isn't any sign of PnP hardware detection from what you describe nor what's in Device Manager

> Have you downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers?
> Also see what BIOS version do you have installed?
> I know you said before audio was enabled.. but try disabling, enabling it. Look if any other BIOS audio options cause something seems to be preventing the Hi Def chip hardware from being detected
> Note the MS UAA bus driver gets installed AFTER chip hardware detection. So you even tho you have the bus driver software on your PC it doesn't matter because Windows isn't seeing the Hi Def Audio hardware which needs it

So when you said in your first post
When i try to install the sound driver, an error tells me that i do not have a HD Audio Bus driver.
i think it's not seein the driver because Windows isn't seeing the Hi Def chip hardware!

Allright. So i tried to install the latest chipset drivers for my mobo, but when i'm istalling a error pop's up telling me i need usbport.sys? I located the file in c:/windows/system32/drivers, but it keeps poppin' up? Got any idea?

I'll try disabling the audio in BIOS for the front panel, and disable-enable the HDaudio in BIOS too.

!!*EDIT*!!

I got the chipset installation to work, but it didnt seem to help. Still the same in System Devices. Also the disabling and enabling didnt work.

When i look in the BIOS i saw something called "Plug and Play I/O" i think. It was on "No", wich meant something about the BIOS controlling, the plug and play, and not the OS. I dont know if that means anything.

Another thing is, that i cant see the soundMAX driver, on my cd when it loads the program, but i can find it manually, if i open the cd.

The Supreme-FX audio card must be in the black PCI-e slot in order to work, is it? The same thing happened to me with my Rampage Formula. I didn't have the sound card in the right slot because of my liquid cooling and it wouldn't install the drivers for it or anything...

The Supreme-FX audio card must be in the black PCI-e slot in order to work, is it? The same thing happened to me with my Rampage Formula. I didn't have the sound card in the right slot because of my liquid cooling and it wouldn't install the drivers for it or anything...

Ooooooh myyy goooood, it worked! A thousand thanks to you.. cant believe it was that simple?

again thank you!!

When i look in the BIOS i saw something called "Plug and Play I/O" i think. It was on "No"
That's probably Plug and Play OS. As i understand it, you can leave it set to No

Per EXCellR8's comments
I've seen posts in other forums also indicating the sound card needs to be in the black slot. And the sound card being in wrong slot could prevent the card from being detected (thus preventing sound card drivers from installing correctly)

But i think the Hi Def Audio chip on the motherboard should be detected whether the sound card is present or not. (maybe Excellr8 or someone else might verify this if possible)

Also, have you tried contacting ASUS since it's a new purchase?

No worries, i fixed it!!!

I cant believe, that i havent been told this yet actually.. Or that ASUS havent mentioned anything about it.. But the solution was to install the Soundcard in the Black PCI-E Slot on the motherboard. Anyways i'm in wonderland right now, hearing sounds!! :)

still, thank you for the help. Appreciate it

Wow! and congrats :grinthumb

And you've also confirmed that the motherboard Hi Def Audio chip, at least for this case, only appears once the sound card is present. I learned something new as well today. Thanks guys!

Yes, good to hear it's working now, as that one threw me for a loop as well when I bought my X48 board. I'm not exactly sure why the SFX needs to be in that one slot, but I ended up using an X-Fi instead so I never really looked into it; doesn't really specify why in the manual either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back