HD become unformatted after crash

By richl32
Jun 9, 2006
  1. My computer crashed yesterday night. I was forced to reset the computer. After the restart, I can see the Hard Drive, but when i click on it, the windows asks me to format the drive. Is there any way that i can get the data back? thank you very much.
  2. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

3. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

4. richl32

richl32 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I am using Windows XP. thank you for helping me.
    I tried to the PC Inspector Recovery. It did find some lost files on the HD; however, most of the condition are poor. So I still can use any of them. Thank you though.
    I will now try the second program. Hopefully, I will have better luck this time.
  5. richl32

richl32 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Also, I forgot to mention that the HD i lost is actually my back up HD, which has all my data, photo, movies, and etc. My operating system running HD is not harmed.
    I read the introduction website for the BartPE, but not sure how to use it at all. :(
  6. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 716

Try a program called "Restoration" it is free and does a very good job.

7. lukeyu

lukeyu TS Rookie

I suggest you use data recovery software such as EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard to recover files.

Download demo version:

You can use "AdvancedRecovery" to scan your corrupted partition. After the scan is complete, the lost file will be displayed in Data Recovery Wizard, you can select them and recover them.
  8. pcaceit

pcaceit TS Rookie Posts: 315

Run windows Diskcheck on all your drives before you try all that.
  9. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

my choice
    File Scavenger or O&O recovery
    lots more out there from what I read here most will get your data back whole or in part
    demo soft issues
    the app will show you recovered files
    you buy app
    then you find the files are corrupt

good luck
    don't write to the problem drive
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.