hd does not work as master

By disaster area
Oct 26, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hd dose not work as master

my hd isnt working as a master and it dose not work as a slave the only place it registers it is in the bios how do i get the data off it?
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

We're going to need a little more info. Exactly what is it doing? Do you get any error when you try to boot? Or is this a storage drive? Is the drive detected at POST?
  3. disaster area

disaster area Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

the error i get while trying to boot is master hard disk fail and also when i set it as a slave it dosent respond
  4. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

Have you tried checking the cables on the drive?

You can also try booting from a floppy or from CD and see if you can access the drive that way.
  5. disaster area

yes i have checked the cables on the drive and i have also used the boot disk and the cd
  6. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TechSpot Guru Posts: 526

In cases like this the problem is usually either a failed drive or a problem with the disk partitioning. As it seems to be recognised by the bios I suspect it to be a partitioning problem, Have you tried one of the free disk checking utilities to test your make of hard disk?
  7. Soap

Soap Newcomer, in training Posts: 96

have you checked the jumper on the hdd??
  8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

You haven't given us much information. What kind of system do you have? Is this a brand new drive or an old one worked previously? What happened that it no longer worked? What's the size and brand of the drive?

Please give us more info... ANYTHING you can think of that concerns your hard disk or IDE setup will help.
  9. disaster area

my hd is a seagate barracuda ata 111 model st330620a 30gb
  10. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Your particular drive has muliple master settings possible.

Most likely, you have not set your jumpers correctly. Try setting your jumpers for master + non-ata slave, or try cable select. The master setting may not work properly on your system or in conjunction with your existing slave drive.

Have you tried the drive by itself as master on its own IDE channel?
  11. disaster area

thanks for all your help guys i have fixed the problem special thanks for rick for suggesting to change it to a non-ata slave

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.