TechSpot

HD question need fast answer

By SenateKT
Jan 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDD question need fast answer

I have 2 SATA 750GB drives in my computer labeled as C: and F: and show as two separate drives. I want to know if it is possible to combine them to show and function as one huge drive? If so how do I do it? A link to a good walk through would be appreciated.

2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Yes you can get the drives to function as one large drive (RAID 0 array) but you'd need a RAID 0 controller card if you don't have one built onto your motherboard. Without the RAID card the job would probably not be possible. You'd also have to reinstall everything to get that to work properly.

Building a RAID 0 array from scratch is pretty easy. You'll need two hard drives preferably the same size with the same firmware and a RAID controller card.

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb/abit/kx7-333/raid1.htm

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,316   +268

RAID JBOD is also an option - you won't get the speed boost but it will still function as just 1 large drive. These RAID options would depend on your controller or motherboard.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.