Hd question

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, this may seem like a stupid question but i was wondering. if my slave hd is connected nothing from it is being used would i just be able to disconnect the power from the hd then disconnect the ribbon cable and be ok. meaning i didnt **** me hard drive. the reason for this question is iam transfering stuff to my external hd now from my master, and wanted to swap out the slave?

adammharvey said:
ok, this may seem like a stupid question but i was wondering. if my slave hd is connected nothing from it is being used would i just be able to disconnect the power from the hd then disconnect the ribbon cable and be ok. meaning i didnt **** me hard drive. the reason for this question is iam transfering stuff to my external hd now from my master, and wanted to swap out the slave?

Turn off the PC first and unplug it then do what you want to do with the slave drive. Never do this while power is running through it (ON) well you could do it, but I wouldn't recommend it, you might damage the HDD and your IDE Controller.

No, IDE devices are not hot-pluggable. You can get away with it, but it might as well crash (and burn if unlucky!) your machine.

cool

great, thanks for the advice. the reason for the question was that im trying to get the slave drive to actually be able to be seen but its not working i have a seagate barracuda 200 gig and i cant figure out why it cant find the drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back