HD remake of Resident Evil will be cross-buy for PS3 / PS4, but there's a catch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

resident evil ps3 ps4 sony nintendo playstation 3 capcom playstation 4 remake gamecube remastered hd remake cross-buy

Capcom’s upcoming HD remake of Resident Evil is less than a month away. The title is now available for pre-order on the PlayStation Store and there’s an added bonus for those that commit to buying the game early.

The Resident Evil HD remake is a cross-buy game which means anyone that pre-orders it for either PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4 will get access to it on the other console as part of the purchase. If you have a PS3, for example, and are planning to get a PS4 in the near future (or vice versa, for some odd reason), then this is a great deal.

Those that pre-order will also be able to pre-load the game so it’ll be ready to play the instant it’s released.

Described as the game that defined the survival horror genre, Resident Evil took the industry by storm when it launched on the original PlayStation way back in 1996. That game kicked off a franchise that now has more than two dozen sequels as well as multiple motion pictures, comic books and more.

The HD remake is actually based on the 2002 GameCube “Remake” of the original title. It’s said to include better graphics, 5.1 surround sound and a 16:9 aspect ratio in addition to some revised camera work.

The Resident Evil HD remake is scheduled for release on January 20, 2015 and is priced at $19.99.

Permalink to story.

I'll be waiting for the PS5 version of the game. While a remake of a remake is nice, I like the Inception-esque nature of a remake of a remake of a remake. Though, I suppose Activision has been doing this for some years now, so the concept isn't so much new as is Capcom's adoption of it.

According to steam there isn't any new content and the only game play change other than a better camera is a control scheme that "lets you just push the analog stick to move in the direction you want to go." Ground breaking. The trailer looks like they re-used the game-cube character models so they are surrounded by things that react to light much better than they do (like in the picture on top). I'm all for not letting graphics define a game but when you sell a game based only on graphics you should hold them to a higher standard.

I think the whole concept is laughable. Even on Steam you see "remastered in HD" of super old games and charging as much as AA games sell for - ridiculous!

I'll be waiting for the PS5 version of the game. While a remake of a remake is nice, I like the Inception-esque nature of a remake of a remake of a remake. Though, I suppose Activision has been doing this for some years now, so the concept isn't so much new as is Capcom's adoption of it.

So, essentially Resident Evil the First has been on every system known to man. I've played it on PS, Gamecube, Dreamcast and the PS2. I can't imagine it will be much different from all of those times.

So, essentially Resident Evil the First has been on every system known to man. I've played it on PS, Gamecube, Dreamcast and the PS2. I can't imagine it will be much different from all of those times.

lol considering there are consoles out before the first playstation it isn't on every system known to man!

Unless there is a neo-geo/NES/Sega genesis version I never heard about.

lol considering there are consoles out before the first playstation it isn't on every system known to man!

Unless there is a neo-geo/NES/Sega genesis version I never heard about.

Someone doesn't understand irony. Of course it hasn't been on every system known to man thus the use of the word "essentially". However, it has been on every system since the release of the original PS, which numbers in the double-digits. Thus, the irony of the sentence "So, essentially Resident Evil the First has been on every system known to man."

I really wish I didn't have to explain that.

I think the whole concept is laughable. Even on Steam you see "remastered in HD" of super old games and charging as much as AA games sell for - ridiculous!

Thankfully this is only $20 on consoles. Which is a far cry from the $50-60+ for a game, which we've all grown used to and just usually wait for sales. Why jump into a broken game these days? Unless you have the time and money to spare.

Pretty sure the hd remake has been 0n pc f0r like 2 years n0w................didnt they remake this f0r the gamecube as well?

Pretty sure the hd remake has been 0n pc f0r like 2 years n0w................didnt they remake this f0r the gamecube as well?

When the Inception business model is in play, it is difficult to establish where one remake begins and another ends.

Merry Christmas......possibly.

You bunch of bah humbugs!!!! I played this game on the ps1 when it first came out and it was epic. Scary. Creaking doors for loading screens, great story, nearly turning into a gerbil sandwich :)

It's brilliant and I didn't play the Nintendo GameCube remake but I do want to get this on next gen because I have a fiancé I want to play it through with. It's great. It's the first survival horror I remember and I can't wait to play it on Xbox one. Anyone dismissing it based on it being just a rehash can do so. For me and my generation of mates it's gaming history I can't wait to relive.

Edit:: also the control system made it more difficult which increased the tension so I'll probably stick with that for nostalgia

Someone doesn't understand irony. Of course it hasn't been on every system known to man thus the use of the word "essentially". However, it has been on every system since the release of the original PS, which numbers in the double-digits. Thus, the irony of the sentence "So, essentially Resident Evil the First has been on every system known to man."

I really wish I didn't have to explain that.
O I understand irony.

I just saw nothing ironic about your statement!

Back