HD trouble

By wiscountryboy
Jul 20, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey guys i recently had a maxtor hd(160gb) ide die on me....so i replaced it with another maxtor 80gb sata....which also died on me both drives determined dead or failing by the powmax utility so i tried a seagate 250gb sata and its rather slow so any ideas on who makes a good sata 150 hard drive roughly 200-300 gb in size?

thanks a bunch
  2. Kevin16

Kevin16 Newcomer, in training Posts: 173

Maxtor and Seagate...but if that many hard drives failed, then i would suspect it has something to do with your motherboard.
  3. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

I have a 300gb seagate sata in one machine and a 250gb in another and they do not run slow at all. I would suspect you have a hardware problem as allready noted.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

It's not unsual at all to get two bad hard drives. Did those drives work at one time, or did they fail over a period of time?

Another thing worth mentioning is memory can create issues which appear identical to drive/file system problems. They can also fool drive diagnostic utilities which rely on memory. It's unusual, but it happens.

Bad motherboard? Unlikely... I'd take my chances with two bad drives. But yes, this could be possible. So could a failing CPU, two bad drive cables, or power supply. But I'd rank these much lower on the probability scale.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,278   +280

Depending upon the brand name of the box, it could also EASILY be a bad controller. AS to cables -- it takes some bad USER handling to mess'm up.
  6. Kevin16

Do you overclock? Overclocking on motherboards with unlocked SATA ports can cause data to become corrupt.
  7. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

He said something about a Powmax utility and i know Powmax is a horrible brand of PSU so maybe it is the power supply.
  8. Kevin16

No, PowerMax is just a program used to test harddrive integrity.
  9. wiscountryboy

wiscountryboy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 128

correct the powmax utility is a utility that maxtor supplies for diagnosing its hard drives...on thing i failed to mention is that the 2 sata drives that were mentioned were from 1 custom built rig...and the ide drive is in a compaq presario ...ive ran memtest on both machines and it came back flawless, is there any program that i can run to see if there are any problems with my cpu or the mobo? and yes each of the 3 drives did work at one time and the 250gb sata one still works, its just sluggish
  10. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

check the power supply may have rail voltage issues
    memory tests aren't the greatest thing
    remove a stick see if machine speed improves
    someone mentioned removing a stick of 512 left one 512 in and machine ran faster
    have heard there is not much affect in speeds under normal conditions with over 1gb of memory thats using standard ddr
  11. wiscountryboy

wiscountryboy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 128

alright....i tried removing each of my two 512mb sticks and i noticed no preformance differane....

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.