HDD Failed?!?! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomorrow_Rains

Okay so, i just switched over my Computer Case from an old one to a new one. and i reconnected everything, i connected everything by the book and by my memory. and i noticed a couple of things. at first it would pick up my 80gb HDD and my 250gb HDD. Now it doesnt pick up my 80gb HDD and it only picks up the 250gb HDD. it also follows through with an error at startup which says that the secondary ide has no 80 conductor cable installed or something like that. So i'd like to know if my HDD failed..or..is something else going on? i've changed it around about 20 times and still nothing. i didnt touch the breakers in the back though.

Here is my CPU specs.

AMD Athlon XP 1.24ghz
Ram is at 1.50GB
Two HDD (mentioned above)

And..if you need more info i'll be checking this religiously.

THank you for your help!!!

The 80 wire cable error is caused by a wrong, bad or improperly connected Hard Drive IDE cable. Did you accidentally swap the CDROM cable with the hard drive cable? I asume that both the 80 and 250GB drives are IDE and not SATA drives?

"I didnt touch the breakers in the back though"...

Do you mean "jumpers" in the back of the hard drive near the flat IDE cable connector?

Was one connector on the HDD cable blue? Did you plug this blue connector into the motherboard, and not into the drive?

Take a close look at the jumper on the primary C hard drive is on "master" and that the jumper on the second hard drive is set on "slave". I suspect both drives are set on CS (Cable Select) Some motherboards "see" Cable Select drives, some motherboards don't like CS

You're going to take out the 250GB hard drive and attach the 80GB hard drive in its place using the cable that was attached to the 250GB hard drive. Oh, and make sure the drive is jumpered as master. Boot your machine. If the drive was detected then you know that the drive is OK, and that the other ribbon cable is toast or the blue hard drive header on the motherboard is toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back