HDD issue

My mother in law gave me her old computer because it would start for a few seconds then stop and continue to repeat the process until she unplugged it. I only wanted it for the extra hard drive. After installing the hard drive into my computer (wanting to format it then clone it since it is larger than the one I currently have) it caused my computer to start and stop even being set as a secondary or slave. If I completely unhook it from my computer and start it up again, My normal set up works fine. Any ideas about what could cause this?

There is only one answer, the drive has gone bad. Chances are the rest of the machine may still be good.

Will the old machine attempt to boot without a drive? Does it come up to a boot drive not found error? If it does, the HDD was the whole trouble.

The drive has a partition marked Active, has an MBR and a partition with an OS - - ergo it attempts to boot from it.

Boot from a CD (Like Linux), attach the drive using a USB adaptor,
and delete the partition.

It would be just a lot safer if you'll just get a new hard drive rather than compromising the other hardware of your system by that faulty hard drive.

Back