TechSpot

HDD issue

By Paul L
Jun 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. My mother in law gave me her old computer because it would start for a few seconds then stop and continue to repeat the process until she unplugged it. I only wanted it for the extra hard drive. After installing the hard drive into my computer (wanting to format it then clone it since it is larger than the one I currently have) it caused my computer to start and stop even being set as a secondary or slave. If I completely unhook it from my computer and start it up again, My normal set up works fine. Any ideas about what could cause this?

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,270   +1,554

There is only one answer, the drive has gone bad. Chances are the rest of the machine may still be good.

Will the old machine attempt to boot without a drive? Does it come up to a boot drive not found error? If it does, the HDD was the whole trouble.

3. Paul L

Paul L TS Rookie Topic Starter

I will attempt to boot without the drive and see what happens. I will post the response tomorrow. Thanks.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,476   +329

The drive has a partition marked Active, has an MBR and a partition with an OS - - ergo it attempts to boot from it.

Boot from a CD (Like Linux), attach the drive using a USB adaptor,
    and delete the partition.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,476   +329

One example of a Linux Boot CD is knoppix

6. Frozwire

Frozwire TS Member Posts: 63

It would be just a lot safer if you'll just get a new hard drive rather than compromising the other hardware of your system by that faulty hard drive.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.