HDD just wont format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I recently bought a second hand 20 gig maxtor HDD. It came with win98 on it. When i placed it into the computer and tried to start it I was getting all kinds of errors... i figured it was a bad installation. I decided to only use it as a spare HDD for my good computer (I was building a second comp out of all my spares) and thought I would format it.

Every time I go to format it, wether it be CMD Prompt or Disk Manager or simply right clicking and going "format" it always hangs at 13%

So I thought I would just select all files and hit delete (Big mystake). Then i tried to istall win XP on it. I managed to do so but its also corrupt and wont work properly and still wont format, even through installing XP it says (an OS already exist etc etc)

All i want to do is Format this drive and clean it of all files on it!!!!!

Comp. Specs
WinXP SP2
AMD Athlon 3000+ (2.0 GHz)
160gig HDD
GeForce 7600 GS
1GB Ram

Please someone help me out,

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Second hand hard drive? That's just asking for trouble.

Test the thing with the manufacturer diagnostics utility. I am pretty sure that you will find the drive bad.

And A Second Hand Maxtor at That......!

You could; Install the drive in another computer and try to reformat it there, and /or find a "drive scrubber" type utility which would make the computer think that it was a new drive, right out of the box.

One caveat; don't spend any more money if you can't beg or borrow these things.

a 20gb drive? Must be ancient. I would run the manfactuer diagnostic CD to test the drive. if it fails- junk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back