HDD/Mobo Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjKraid

Hi!

I made a post here earlier when my hdd just went blank here:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic115656.html

and now I have got the hdd working somehow but the computer runs very slowly so I ran a chkdsk but it failed...tried it twice....fail...

can anyone "translate" this error message to english or do anyone just know what it's saying..??

Look at screen shot

---------------------------------

Here is btw an update to that other post that might help...

After the hdd went blank I removed everything (all extra stuff, ex soundcard, ethernet...) from the computer and tried to get it to life with an other hdd...the mobo has 6 sata ports...
sata1 - went in to bois -> found the hdd -> booted from cd -> no hdd...back to bios -> hdd blank
so I had to take a new hdd...again
sata2 - bios -> found hdd -> boot from cd -> install windows...worked ok, but unstable
took out the new hdd and but back the 320Gb sata that was blank (<u>sata2</u>)
->bois->first no hdd then I klicked on the "check for devices" and then it found the hdd so I installed windows...the computer still runs very slow and now I have got the problem that's in the beginning of this post...

---------------------------------

I have a abit A-S78H mobo

and before you replay that abit sucks and that I should get an other manufacturers mobo... I know that..!

Attachments

• chkdsk.JPG
    chkdsk.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 5
The first line of that Check Disk says you are only running it in Read Only mode.
Maybe you don't know. But Read Only won't actually fix anything.

Can be signs of a faulty internal HardDrive (make sure that you always complete all backups)

Please try this:

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer
  • Open My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
  • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
  • Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed
Use one of the following procedures:
  • • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
  • • (tick) To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box.
  • • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Wait until Chkdsk finishes Checking / Repairing any faults
Windows will then either restart your computer or continue loading Normally.

--------------------------

After that, you could do a Drive Diagnostics too

yeah I ran chkdsk before windows login...it didn't work..stage 4/5 fail @ 78%...it just jammed there...twice

and here are the diagnostik tools results...it passed all the tests... :/

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD3200AAJS-22VWA0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCARW4880452
Firmware Number: 12.01B02
Capacity: 320.07 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 09:05:57, December 20, 2008

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD3200AAJS-22VWA0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCARW4880452
Firmware Number: 12.01B02
Capacity: 320.07 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 09:08:12, December 20, 2008

So what is the problem....why dosn't it work..?!

If CheckDisk continuously fails (ie you have tried it again)
You can try CheckDisk outside Windows, by booting with the Windows CD and then typing CHKDSK on the Recovery Console (like a Dos screen)

But actually this may be a Partition fault, where I have used Partition Magic (bootable CD) to repair faults (without hurting any data) The only issue is, PM is a buy it, product (ie licenced) I'm not sure if the free Gparted has a Partition repair option either.

I'm thinking you should backup first though
If you can't back up in Windows, you can use the free Ultimate BootCD and backup to CD or USB flash drive, and then start playing with Partitions

Or if everything is already backed up, just put the Windows CD in the drive and remove the Partition when initially prompted, and then continue installing Windows, clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back