HDD problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

=met=Badger

First I just got a new Mobo, P5n32e sli plus, installed vista and it wont boot without the windows CD. Figured its either chipset drivers or something with the Drive.

Similar to this thread. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic25143.html
similar i mean same problem different hardware + O/S.

Boot Drive 36GB Raptor divided into a 32gb o/s partition and a 2.5gb page file partition. First i thought maybe it was cuz i have the first partion as the 2.5 pagefile. I reformatted and switched them. still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

all sata ports used
1-3: 320gb seagate
4: 200gb WD
5: 36gb WD raptor
6:samsung optical

Things i've tried:
Reset Cmos - pulled the battery
replaced the battery
reinstalled vista
bios update
chipset driver update
Changed boot sequence
Changed drive order

HW:
E6320
P5n32e-sli-plus
Hp-6400 2gb ram
WD36gb Raptor

Your initial guess on the Page file was correct... take a look at what happened afterward.

????? " take a look at what happened afterward" ?????
I reversed it so the pagefile partition is now Partition 2 on that drive. I've done this with XP for a few months now its great and saves fragmentation.

This may all be bcuz my mobo doesnt have an update chipset driver for Vista. may have to go back to XP for a bit, dont want to; vista is soooo pretty and this is the only problem i've had other than EA software not working.

If you are running VISTA without all the driver updates, and chipset for VISTA, you definitely must do that.
What is the brand and model of your computer?

"P5n32e-sli-plus"(asus)

"Things i've tried:
Reset Cmos - pulled the battery
replaced the battery
reinstalled vista
bios update
chipset driver update
Changed boot sequence
Changed drive order
"
the chipset drivers were in Beta, released in Nov. nothing new since.

theres one other thing i havent tried yet and thats replace the sata cables. and change the order to reflect boot priority, I.E. place my boot drive in sata_0 so its the first drive instead of the 5th and relying on BIOS to change the order.

Obscure problems = a fix it self solution. Since my last post early this mourn or late last night i shut down my pc. when i awoke it started up and the Boot didnt stick again but the install didnt work. So i reinstalled vista and this post is on another vista install that I expected to remove. I may have to just reset my restore point back to clean, as i've loaded it with unwanted software to try and fix my other thread problem; trial recovery S/W.

So all in all it seems to be just several bad install 4 in a row to be exact. Very odd, ive only had 2 in a row w/ xp. was worried for a sec that my mobo may be defective, not too worried its only a week off the shelf so i can send it back etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back