TechSpot

HDD Question...

By riZen2003
Jan 4, 2006
  1. I'm only using one hard drive and I don't have any jumpers on the hard drive. Will the mobo recognize it without the jumper in? Do I really need that jumper cause I don't seem to have one :(. And If I need one can I go out to like CompUSA and just get one?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Perhaps it is a SATA hard drive? You don't need any jumpers on these. Whether your motherboard supports SATA hard drive is another matter..

3. kodrutz

kodrutz TS Booster Posts: 107

Most IDE drives need jumpers only when they are not used as MASTER.
    It would be very helpful for us if you could tell us what kind of hdd do you have(you can try programs like Sandra or Everest to find out if you don't know).

4. riZen2003

riZen2003 TS Rookie Topic Starter

5. kodrutz

Great drive, no problem!
    May your data be safe with it, it's a S-ATA and you don't need any jumper!

6. riZen2003

So what does S-ATA mean? Can I just plug it in and it'll work without the jumpers? In the future if I get the same harddrive will it work also without the jumpers telling it to be master or slave?

7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

SATA is the new hard drive standard that is Completely Different from the ATA/IDE standard. Forget everything you know about master/slave and jumpers.

8. kodrutz

To be more precise...

I hope this will make you understand exactly what's all about.

9. riZen2003

Thank you all for the info. It really helped me out.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.