HDD Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only using one hard drive and I don't have any jumpers on the hard drive. Will the mobo recognize it without the jumper in? Do I really need that jumper cause I don't seem to have one :(. And If I need one can I go out to like CompUSA and just get one?

Perhaps it is a SATA hard drive? You don't need any jumpers on these. Whether your motherboard supports SATA hard drive is another matter..

Most IDE drives need jumpers only when they are not used as MASTER.
It would be very helpful for us if you could tell us what kind of hdd do you have(you can try programs like Sandra or Everest to find out if you don't know).

Great drive, no problem!
May your data be safe with it, it's a S-ATA and you don't need any jumper!

So what does S-ATA mean? Can I just plug it in and it'll work without the jumpers? In the future if I get the same harddrive will it work also without the jumpers telling it to be master or slave?

SATA is the new hard drive standard that is Completely Different from the ATA/IDE standard. Forget everything you know about master/slave and jumpers.

To be more precise...

Often abbreviated SATA or S-ATA, an evolution of the Parallel ATA physical storage interface. Serial ATA is a serial link -- a single cable with a minimum of four wires creates a point-to-point connection between devices. Transfer rates for Serial ATA begin at 150MBps. One of the main design advantages of Serial ATA is that the thinner serial cables facilitate more efficient airflow inside a form factor and also allow for smaller chassis designs. In contrast, IDE cables used in parallel ATA systems are bulkier than Serial ATA cables and can only extend to 40cm long, while Serial ATA cables can extend up to one meter.

I hope this will make you understand exactly what's all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back