HDD showing up fine in device manager..but wont show up anywhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.
basically whats happening is when i start my computer and it tries to boot the OS it gives me the boot device not found msg...i thought at first that the hdd might just needed a format or maybe the mbr might need to be fixed...but i also cannot access the hdd in the windows xp recovery console or when i try to format(it says disk drive not accessible)...in windows when i go to device manager the hdd shows up fine..but i cant access it through my computer.

I believe the problem was caused when i tried plugging in a ps/2 mouse when the computer was on...the next time i shut it down and restarted was when the problem occured

if it can't boot how are you seeing in device manager???
are you using it in another machine??
in manager does it say it is ntfs system ,boot ?? :knock:

Yes i was testing the HDD in another PC sorry for not mentioning that...although now i am unable to test the HDD in another machine since i do not have access to one....I cant remember what it said in device manager either

Now ive got an old hdd running windows xp on my machine and im tryign to run the problem HDD as a slave but its not showing up at all...

Are there any HDD recovery tools i could download? im pretty much ready to just go out and buy a new HDD but id like to retieve the information that i had on the old one

there are a lot of data recovery tools
some for special purpose some very good for all files
I use scavenger
and O & O file recovery 2 best to date
been to busy to look at other ones
most of my testing is done by deleteing files and recoverying them
some times I will change file system try to corrupt it and then recover as test
before I lay it on a clients hard drive
if data not that important try a reformat to your file system
or PM me for details on data recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.