HDD temps in RAID 5 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin_Capacitor

I was wondering if theres any utility out there that can monitor the temperatures of HDD's in RAID arrays. It seems kind of stupid that most utilities (such as everest) lack this when the people most likely to have a raid array are the high end users, who would in turn have alot of hot stuff in their case and need to monitor their HDD's temp. Anyways if anyone knows of such a utility, the help is appreciated.

You could give speedfan from the downloads section a try. I dont know if it will work but you never know.

The very point of a RAID array is to hide the individual drives behind a controller and present (a) virtual drive(s) instead. Any temperature-sensing utility would have to be controller-specific, using some out-of-band method to get temperature information from individual drives.

And no, not even high-end storage solutions give you per-drive temperature readings.

Well that sucks, you'd think the high-end solutions would at least have some way of forwarding the temp setting (or better yet all the SMART info).
So i guess this means i cant see my drive temps w/o taking them out of raid and just plain cant see the temps under load?

I'd say not. Even if they gave temps out in the raid, unless they were all identical drives, they would all give different temps. I have around a 10C different between my hard drives, and even then identical drives could have a variation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back