HDD Undetected in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrhk

Recently my MyBook got corrupted or something and stopped working. I figured since it was out of warrenty, I might as well take it out and try to use it as a regular hd. Some people reported this actually fixed the errors.

Anyways I do that but it's undetected in Windows. I can see it in Bios, during Post and even on the Ubuntu live CD but I don't know how I can fix it at this point.

I tried using the Ubuntu live CD to format the drive but it didn't work

Any ideas?

Does it use a SATA connection rather than a IDE (PATA) connection? If so and you are using Windows XP, you might need to install SATA/RAID drivers for your motherboard.

Vista should already have the drivers that XP lacks. The drivers are sometimes referred to as RAID drivers or SATA/RAID drivers but it's the same thing even if you have no intention of setting up a RAID array.

That said, I'm don't have Vista so I don't know it's intricacies but see if you can go into Disk Management and see if the hard drive can be seen there. If so, try formating it from there.

The drivers are installed, it isn't showing up in Disk Managment or anything. It does show up in Bios and on Linux Live discs. Problem is I haven't been able to format it from any of those sources.

I ran Driver Fitness Test which can also detect the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back