HDD Upgrade Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I want to upgrade my HDD or install another one into my computer. How do I find out what type of HDD to buy. I am upgrading my ram to 512mb, so what size HDD do you recommend also. I believe my current HDD is 3.5". And is it possible to keep the HDD I have already and also get a new one. I don;t know how to find out if i need a SATA/ IDE/ SCSI type of HDD.

Windows Xp srv pack 2
AMD Duron processor 1.01 Ghz
Ram 120 mb
Fujitsu MPE3136AT 12.7 gig hard drive
Motherboard is a Mk20/nhttp://global.shuttle.com/Product/MotherBoard/mbd_Spec.asp?M_id=25

Thanks for your help

The size of HD does not have to relate to the amount of memory. 3.5" is the physical demensions of the HD.

I had a look at the link you provided for the motherboard asuming you have given the correct link your HD needs to be 'ATA100/66'. I would go for something between 40GB and 80 GB, you would not need any more and it is very difficult to get any smaller.

Thanks for the suggestion, is there anywhere I would be able to find out what type of HDD are compatible with my motherboard? I'm not sure what 'ATA100/66' means. Thanks again.

ATA 100/66 is IDE but because your laptop is using 3.5" when u pull it out u will see something attached to it,its an adaptor.just pull it off and attach it to your new HDD which also be IDE ATA.its very simple u will like playing around with it.just locate your HDD.R

Thanks for the reply but this is a desktop, and I was wondering if i can use both HDD? Since it is an IDE HDD can I purchase any IDE HDD and it is compatible with my motherboard?

yeah u can have two or three HDD(s) all u have to do is to make one a master and the other a slave on IDE 1(Primary) then the third one master and the cd rom slave on IDE 2(Secondary).u can do this by changing the jumpers next to the IDE bus connector of the HDD.Jumper settings can be found on the hard disk sticker.wish u luck.R robin_bga@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back