HDMI Audio Problem, Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChucktownMako

Hello Everyone.

I have been poking around here for a week or so, trying to figure out my problem. To start off, I have a Acer Aspire X1200. Notorious for HDMI problems. When I first got the pc, I could not get any video signal once windows came up.
Fixed that by un-installing driver in safe mode, re-installing and finally got VGA video signal. But no HDMI video. Fought that for about 2 weeks and finally poof, I have HDMI video signal. I have a nVidia Geforce 8200.

I still do not have HDMI audio. I have read in many previous threads to install a previous nVidia driver, but with mine, only the newer one would give me a video signal. I have tried installing the recommended Codec from nVidia, but to no avail. Un-installed, re-installed, etc. If I try to roll back the driver, it totally removes the driver all together. I guess from un-installing so many times. So I reinstall. Under nVidia driver, it says cable unplugged or something of the sort. Obviously, it is plugged in, because I have a video signal.

Under my control panel- sounds, the driver shows up, but I cannot even Enable the thing! It also has a Realtek HDMI audio driver, but I get no sound with that enabled either.

Has anyone gotten their X1200 HDMI to work?? I keep reading threads about the problem and the majority cannot get everything to work correctly. The ones that say theirs works, thats all they say. Lucky dogs.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Tech support has been little to no help. I might also mention that anything in the nVidia Control Panel Help it tells me to do, is not in the actual control panel. There are no Audio options.

Having a limited knowledge of computers, I have come a looonngg way in the past year. I have managed to fix all of these issues on my own, until now. I am at the end of my rope, no more tricks up my sleeve.

Please, please someone help. I know there are smarter people out there than me.

HDMI is for video, not audio. Your audio may be HD but not HDMI. You would need to use a separate audio cable, connected to the proper audio jacks

Why can I get digital audio from other sources then, through the HDMI cable? It has been said it has been done with this model. Even the driver info says it can be done. It just doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Often, replacement with better cables is necessary. I think the recommendation of TMagic650 is the best advice you are going to get.
Who was the "It" who said it "has been done with this model"? The Acer is simply too limited in design... and components, even when every thing is at its best.

"Why can I get digital audio from other sources then, through the HDMI cable?"...
What other sources are you referring to?

After doing a little reasearch, HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) does support Digital audio and video. You may have to invest in a better HDMI cable

Just from other thread on different forums. AVS is one I think.

I will take your suggestion and try different jacks.

Thanks for your replies!!

Oh, by other sources I mean: I have a Direct TV box, which I can get audio and video through the HDMI cable. Same cable as other.

Just an update. After many nights of frustration, I am now able to get digital audio from my HDMI cable. A few days ago, I could not even get audio from the many 3.5mm ports on the desktop. Now I can get 5.1 digital through HDMI.

Thanks for the help.

Well, after uninstalling, reinstalling the same nVidia driver, multiple times, it finally worked. This time, upon uninstalling there is an option box to uninstall the software as well. This time I checked that, along with actually shutting down and unplugging the computer, instead of just restarting it. Audio and video are both working great. There is still no option in the nVidia control panel to configure speaker setup, etc. But I can go into Sounds and do minor adjustments.

One problem though, when I boot up the computer, I get something like: "Warning: now in safe mode." Typical, it says press 'F1' to continue or Del to enter setup. I press F1 and it boots up normally. Doesn't seem to be in safe mode. Who knows... all I care is its working... as long as it doesn't create a problem in the future.

There may be a wrong or incorrect bios setting that is causing this "F1" message. Most likely, it is in the boot drive options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back