HDTV for pc gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericcothran

The wife and I have decided to save up enough to buy a HDTV. She just wants one 42"+. I want one that I can hook my PC up to and be able to play my game (FFXI) I have 8600GTX (DVI x2 and S-video outputs) The problem I don't want to have is the one I have now. If I hook up my PC to my normal 32" TV (s-video), I get good graphics, but the text boxes are very small and unreadable at a distance. So, I was wondering what specs on HDTV would I need for the text to be readable at a distance of more than 3 feet. Would the DVI cable be enough or do I need 1080p and a high contrast. I don't want to go out and get the most expensive HDTV on the market. I just want one that will play like a BIG pc monitor.

PC specs = AMD 5000+ 2.8Ghz, 4GBddr2 (667Mhz), GeForce 8600GTX 256mb

It's listed at $1700 how do you get them down to $1250? I was hoping for a little cheaper like in the $900-$1200 range (more on the $900 side)

For a 42" or greater you'll want a 1080p TV. You'll also want to hook that up to your computer through a DVI to HDMI cable (check monoprice.com for cheap ones). The thing is, you almost certainly won't be able to game at 1920x1080 on any new games, so you'll have to drop the resolution for gaming, but it should still look decent.

ericcothran said:
It's listed at $1700 how do you get them down to $1250? I was hoping for a little cheaper like in the $900-$1200 range (more on the $900 side)
every price is inflated at the manufacturers suggested listing you go in there and ask then to weel and deal and they will. you wont get a 1080p under that range. just go into abc wharehouse and ask them to give you the best price they can give you on the model i listed and they will.

Mirob said:
I seen this today,
http://www.secondact.com/product/LNT4061FRB?meta=PRICEGRABBER-LNT4061FRB
I don't think I'd do it. I payed $1275 out the door for my 4066 at best buy. It was on sale for 1499 and I signed up for direct tv for 300 off. There is a way to scam off even more from the price--(there is a thread a slickdeals.net, too shady for me.)
dont matter where you go to buy it as long as they give ya deal. they sell that tv i listed at best buy too. give it a look see. i think youll like it. theyll also match any price at other competitor give as well. ;-)

The problem with ordering TVs online is shipping and returning if there are any defects/problems with the TV. You can quickly get yourself into a situation where you don't have your TV for months while you fight out the shipping issues, or where you end up spending what you saved in shipping costs.

I live where the nearest place other than Wal-Mart to buy HDTVs is over an hour drive away. I bought a Sharp 46" that was to have backlight banding issues on some sets, instead of getting it cheap online I drove an hour and a half to pick one up 'locally'. It was a good thing too, my set had the backlight problems. While it was still a hassle to drive up there and return it (plus cash for a Sony Bravia) it was better than waiting a few weeks and risking the potential of another bad Sharp.

And Mirob, you have an 8800GT, it is going to be far better at 1080p gaming than a 8600.

SNGX1275 said:
The problem with ordering TVs online is shipping and returning if there are any defects/problems with the TV. You can quickly get yourself into a situation where you don't have your TV for months while you fight out the shipping issues, or where you end up spending what you saved in shipping costs.

I live where the nearest place other than Wal-Mart to buy HDTVs is over an hour drive away. I bought a Sharp 46" that was to have backlight banding issues on some sets, instead of getting it cheap online I drove an hour and a half to pick one up 'locally'. It was a good thing too, my set had the backlight problems. While it was still a hassle to drive up there and return it (plus cash for a Sony Bravia) it was better than waiting a few weeks and risking the potential of another bad Sharp.

And Mirob, you have an 8800GT, it is going to be far better at 1080p gaming than a 8600.
oh i thought you lived near a abc whearhouse or best buy. i guess go to wal-mart and but a samsung from them.

Why would you think that? You were the one advocating buying from ABC right? Until my last post I didn't even mention what I had. I'm confused.

I haven't seen many good TVs at Walmart, I think the best there is Phillips. I did buy a display model 26in 720p Samsung there as-is for $450, but it sure dosen't have the same picture as the xx61 or higher models. I use it a a monitor in the my kids room and it works good. A 8600 should game alright at 720p but 720p is low for a 42in.

I understand Samsung's warranty service is in house and if they need to take the TV in for repairs they leave a loaner. I'd guess Sony's is good too. You may not need to send one back if ordered on-line. I always have bought monitors and TVs locally mostly because of strict return policies like newegg's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back