Headset and Speaker Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnePanda

Hey all, I'm new here but it seems like a good place to get help with this problem.
I've been running my speakers and headset together using the headset for first person shooters and speakers for music and such and its been running fine for weeks.

Last night while on teamspeak and playing an fps my headset would begin to fade in and out and after going through my audio options/properties many times and looking for new drivers the problem is still here. I have the headset plugged into the green port (rear) and mic in the pink port (rear) with the speakers in the headphones port (front) and it was working fine until last night.

Now, whenever I have them both plugged in and try to play an fps, sound only comes out of the speakers...and if I unplug the speakers then a very faint sound comes out of the headset even when the volume is at max. I've tried different combinations like putting the headset into the headphones port but the result is still the same. I also tried this with a different pair of headphones and the sound output to that is still very faint and not audible. Weird thing is, is that this only happens on fps...music will play fine on the headset but during gameplay (more than one game) the sound just dissappears and all the game settings are fine.

Im on a Dell 8200 series running XP Pro with intel integrated sound AC'97 (on board)..i know its not great but its fine for now...any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks for the help :)

sorry to hear about your problem probly to do with ac97 as they have bad rep. i would try to uninstall the sound device first and reinstall it and see if that cant fix the problem then i would work on getting a new sound card. let me know if you have anymore questions bobcat

eh well the headset didn't come with anything to install. So if that's what you mean then i can't do that...or did you mean something else?

hmm..i'm pretty new to this audio stuff so how do i go about reinstalling ac97?

And I have been putitng the headset into the speaker port and speakers into the headphones port, but i was using it like that for weeks with no problems

Greetings. I play numerous games using TS, and I may be able to help you resolve your issue. First off, please make sure that the jacks for your headset are plugged into the right ports, this may seem kind of basic, but I have found that a misplaced jack can be the bane of many an online gamer. Next, you are running off of onboard sound. There is one option I can recomend, until I can get more information from you I.e. which games you are playing.

In TS, go to settings>options Once here, make sure your default onboard sound device is selected as your default input and output device. Next, I would recomend switching to Wave sound, instead of direct sound, as direct sound conflicts with several online games, such as World Of Warcraft, and the Battlefield series. Let me know if this helps you at all, and if it doesen't, then perhaps you can give me some more info.

Gun Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back