heatsink/fan question

By MaRkJr
Nov 18, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok last night my 1ghz amd thunderbird fried, so tonight i ordered a new amd xp 2000+ for my computer. i was wondering if my heatsink/fan that i used on my 1ghz thundbird would be good enough to use on my new amd xp 2000+. when i bought my 1ghz thunderbird cpu, the heatsink and fan came with it.

do i need to buy a newer and better heatsink/fan? if so, i need some suggestions (and links to the sites that sell them). also, i'm only willing to spend at the most $20.

i also have 2 bigger fans in the side of my computer case to help keep things cool.

thanks,
    MaRkJR
  2. NoisySilence

NoisySilence Newcomer, in training Posts: 184

That fan will certainly not suffice unless it was a fancy heatsink like an alpha 8045, in which case you could still use it.

You can get a boxed version of the CPU which comes a hsf. It's generally nothing too exceptional but it should do well with your CPU.
  3. MaRkJr

MaRkJr Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 19

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.