Heatsink/Fan questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypochondriac

Hope I got the right forum this time

My computer is about 3 years old, It idles around 51, and can get up to 65 or higher when playing games, I generally leave the case off to help with airflow.

How do you know what heatsink/fan to get? Motherboard is an Intel 865 GBF

I currently have the stock heatsink/fan. I tried google but don't understand the differences between the different types of heatsinks and the thermal pastes. What make on better then the other, and are they motherboard specific or does one size fit all?

I dont see any problem at 65, do you? is it shutting down by itself? if it is not, i think it is still normal, mine is around 50, 60.

Before that i had the heatsking loose and my PC shutted down frecuently, with temperatures around 90´s. But i found the problem, and re-applied the thermal paste uniform, and it seems to work well now.

Check if the heatsink is properly seated, and the thermal paste uniformly applied all over the processor surface.

Hello and welcome to Techspot

First off, if you are going to leave the side panel off, please get a desktop fan to blow cold air into the case.

The heatsink & fan, do not rely on the type of mobo, but does rely on what type of cpu you have.

You can find out what processor you have by downloading this program http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/siw.exe

As you can see in this picture, i have highlighted two things, the left hand side 1, being what you have to hit to get your cpu information. 2. being what you cpu socket type and how many pins it has (this is what you go by for purchasing your new heatsink & fan)

my.php

Ralphmex said:
I dont see any problem at 65, do you? is it shutting down by itself? if it is not, i think it is still normal, mine is around 50, 60.

Before that i had the heatsking loose and my PC shutted down frecuently, with temperatures around 90´s. But i found the problem, and re-applied the thermal paste uniform, and it seems to work well now.

Check if the heatsink is properly seated, and the thermal paste uniformly applied all over the processor surface.

Thanks, I do have problems with freezes and random restarts. Along with this the I have POST failures, takes 3-4 attempts before the computer will boot. I tested the ram one stick at a time and with memtest, it normal, the Motherboard looks normal no burned or swollen caps, I thought it was my PSU but I replaced it with a new one, but still get the POST failures and random freezes.

Now for cpu heatsinks & fan reviews look here > http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=3DGAMEMAN 3dgameman has all the latest reviews for products, like heatsinks etc. He will also show you a brief installation of the product in question

Notice on the cpu heatsinks he says compatible with intel, sockets 478

That product will is able to be used on your computer, because it shares your socket number (478)

All you have to do is look for heatsinks that are compatible with socket 478.

Any other help you may need please dont hesitate to contact me

Regards Computergeek564 :wave:

Install more case fans ...
make sure you have air-intake upfront
side air-outakes

80mm front
120mm rear or sides

If you have problems POSTing I don't believe it is heat related, normally I'd look at RAM or PSU for this. But you say the RAM is good. If your PSU is also good then something is screwed up with your motherboard. Heat won't be a problem that soon after you turn the computer on unless you had terrible contact with the heatsink, and in that case Windows probably wouldn't run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back